Author Topic: Scaling, Aligning & UV Rotate Generators  (Read 10433 times)

Look I am fairly new to this program call me a nub and I have been playing, searching and reading all I can. However I still can not figure out how one would go about doing the following tasks.

I have an  eyeball generator from the free share, its awesome. However its centered and takes up the entire UV Wrapper IE a gianourmous eyeball.

How do I scale it down, rotate it, and UV Offset it so I can line it up to where the eyeball needs to be on the wrapper? I understand that I would need to use a mask when done so the wrapper wouldn't have 100 eyeballs on it.

I can do this everywhere else but when I use these nifty pre-made generators I can not.

I read in searching these forums that I might have to take the file somewhere else to adjust it? Seems odd being the sliders and all the other features are in the generator already. Do I have to somehow create a master layer above it and tie the two together so I can then edit them.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Use a fill layer to load the substance and tweak the scale and translate parameters to set the result where you want on your UVs. (You can also disable the repeat of the substance here). Another way is to paint it directly where you want by using the projection tool in the 2D View.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

You state "substance" yes I know how to do this process to substances.

I strictly said my issue was with Generators.

If I use a generator on a fill the UV tools are there but have no effect

The stencil approach doesn't apply because its a generator

Sorry likely something I am not understanding

osias.lee,

re: Eyeball (Iris) Generator.....awesome tool!

I've been trying to use this Generator, too, and have the same problem....
how to apply it, and how to adjust the size.

At one point I saw a pop-up in the Viewport that said, "Effects cannot be painted".

I.e. you can't scale, rotate the eye and paint it where you want it (though that would be a nice feature).

According to the online documentation,
"Generators are substances that generate a mask or a material based on the mesh topology using the additional maps setup in the TextureSet Settings. Each generator has a set of parameters allowing you to fine tune the resulting mask."

I think it requires applying the Iris to a sphere via a mask. The generator modifies the mask.
But I still don't see how to adjust the size of the eye on the sphere/eyeball (?)

It would be good if the author of the generator included a short explanation how to use the generator.  :)

Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:51:00 pm

You state "substance" yes I know how to do this process to substances.

I strictly said my issue was with Generators.

If I use a generator on a fill the UV tools are there but have no effect

The stencil approach doesn't apply because its a generator

Sorry likely something I am not understanding

Instead of adding it as a generator you can add it as a material (drag from explorer to material tab) and then drag out the iris generator to the layers panel and you will get a fill layer with the iris generator set as a material. Then you should be able to use the UV settings.
(edit: it also says "material" in substance share.  :P)

Yeah the name "generator" used for this Iris substance is misleading. This is not meant to create mask like the one we provide by default in the software. Use it like a regular material instead (and therefore my feedback above still apply).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Well I can't seem to import the eyeball generator as a material so I can do the process your stating but with working in the tools I get what your saying. I have another solution. Just open a flat pane mesh with a simple wrapper all flat - pull out the generator and let it take of the whole UV wrapper and adjust the generator to the eyeball you like. Export out the texture, then you can re-import it in as a material.

Its not perfect but another process.