Author Topic: Only Spec Maps with B2M? No Gloss Maps??  (Read 5029 times)

Hallo guys,

I'm currently running B2M 2.1 in Substance Player 4.0, trying to create a matte concrete material. However, I can't seem to find a way to generate a gloss map (a map that modulates the sharpness of specular highlights/reflections). It seems that B2M only generates a spec map which controls the intensity of specular reflections, but not their sharpness. If I dial down the spec map I can still see the environment being reflected sharply in the 3D previewer even though it is a very faint reflection.
Am I doing something wrong here?

How am I supposed to create a matte material if I can't control the sharpness of reflections? I would be totally perplexed if this isn't possible with B2M, because a gloss map is probably the most important map.

Looking forward to a clarification. Thanks!

You can hardly extract automatically a glossmap from an image, it will look wrong most of the times. As you said, the glossmap is one of the most important map for creating believable materials and you probably want to create it manually or extract it and modify it yourself from the diffuse inside Substance Designer.
Also, the default shader in the viewport of Substance Player does not support blurry reflections so you wouldn't be able to see the results.

You can hardly extract automatically a glossmap from an image, it will look wrong most of the times. As you said, the glossmap is one of the most important map for creating believable materials and you probably want to create it manually or extract it and modify it yourself from the diffuse inside Substance Designer.
Also, the default shader in the viewport of Substance Player does not support blurry reflections so you wouldn't be able to see the results.

Why shouldn't one be able to automatically extract a gloss map? You could then say that about any map that B2M creates. It's allgorithmic guesswork which can yield an utterly wrong result.

For a gloss map most of the time you desaturate a diffuse map and use that as a starting point. So I don't really understand why B2M shouldn't be able to automatically create a solid gloss map. Just give the user the same parameters as for the spec map. I know that the range of specular exponent values varies from application to application, but nontheless I find B2M VERY incomplete without an option to extract gloss maps. After all that's the map which for the predominant part communicates the surface qualities.

No plans to add this feature soon?

...you probably want to create it manually or extract it and modify it yourself from the diffuse inside Substance Designer.

How do you extract a gloss map in SD4.1.1 ? (I got no 3d model, just a photo)

Ok, for the metal-roughness(gloss)-workflow, this was very useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71V6Vi6OpbM

But to be honest, there is no "magic" happening ;)
I would say, that creating a gloss/roughness map should be possible in B2M, too...
Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:48:26 am