Author Topic: Pattern disappears  (Read 3115 times)

Hello everyone!
I have a trouble with inside Unreal Engine 4. I'm making a brick material. In SD outputs looks right but, as you can guess, in engine brick pattern disappears and only cement layer left visible.
I've tried plug different nodes in base color output and end up with that Edge Detect node is causer. If plug Brick Generator directly to output it shows up as expected, but next to it Edge Detect node shows up in engine as black canvas.
So how make things work?
Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:24:06 am

How does your substance behave in Substance Designer if your switch your engine to CPU ? (Shortcut F9).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

How does your substance behave in Substance Designer if your switch your engine to CPU ? (Shortcut F9).

Hi Froyok! Same result with SSE2 and Direct3D engines.

Have a little progress here  :)
Pattern finally appear, have some weird colors compare to SD render though.
Back to business, Edge Detect is a trouble maker, in attached screenshot I turn off this node and things start working.
It's very strange, if I tweak Edge Width and Edge Roundness in SD it make changes slightly, but inside engine it seems like this node completely erase bricks.

Can you try to isolate the node on a more simpler graph ?
Just to see how it behaves exactly.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Can you try to isolate the node on a more simpler graph ?
Just to see how it behaves exactly.
Make some further tests, compare SD and UE results with the same values in parameters. It's seems that Edge Roundness parameter in Egde Detect node have very big sensitivity inside engine. If set value to 0 it have no effect, if increase slightly to 0.1 result is very intense. And there no way to make finer adjustments inside engine.
Then I've tried reimport Substance inside engine and Edge Width and Roundness stop working at all. I mean they're didn't affect output anyhow.
I've tried make simple graph as you suggest like Brick Generator-->Edge Detect-->Output and expose all parameters in those nodes and it works well in UE.