Author Topic: FX-Map (Color) Blending Mode (Max) weird behavior...  (Read 1570 times)

After lots of trial and error it seems that the FX-Map node has some problems when set to color, and blending mode max.

Any color value set either 0 or 255 (0 or 1) will be drawn on top of all the color values in-between... so a shape set to 0,0,0,1 will draw on top of 0.5,0.5,0.5,1 but 0.001,will be dawn under 0.5...

Also switching an FX-Map node from grayscale to color or vice versa seems to brake existing function graphs...

Thanks for your help.

^^
Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:00:07 am

Mmm weird, I didn't get this issue..
Do you mind sharing your sbs ?

Hey Vincent,

Thanks for offering to take a look. Unfortunately my client doesn't want me to share what I am working on.

If I have the time I will try to whip up an example.

Luckily I have found away around the problem.

Happy holidays!

^^

Good to hear this  ;)
Happy holidays too and if you have a way to share your workaround, don't hesitate  :)

Ok I have been trying to figure out what the hell is the problem with using the FX-Map in Color mode...

So I ran the exact same graph threw booth gray and color modes. The only difference was gray scale liner interpolates a single float value from 0 to 1 and color mode was interpolating a float 4 value from 0,0,0,0 to 0,0,0,1 and comparing the Alpha channel to the gray scale. (I also did this test with the color channels, to the same results.)

I really don't want to sound rood here but...

Pleas fix the differences between Color and Gray Scale image processing.

Thanks.

^^

PS: nun of the buttons in the forum like [Bold] [italic] [image] [ext...] work in Microsoft Edge.

Note: The color output is the one on the right...

Here is another example running the exact same graph threw Grayscale and then Color modes.

Gray 0 to 1 value
Color 0,0,0,1 to 1,1,1,1 values

WTF right? Why don't you get the same image. I have tried just about every variation I can think of to get this too work with color mode. Right now my workaround is to use 4 FX-Map nodes set to Grayscale, one for each channel aka R, G, B, A and then recombined them...

Hey,
the RGBA doesn't handle 16bits per channel (even if it's written), so maybe it explains the difference ?

Max blending is not available with color Fx-Maps (the engine is actually doing alpha blending instead) It should not appear as a valid choice in the interface when creating color Fx-Maps. Symetrically alpha-blend is not available with greyscale FxMaps (it is replaced by max) and should not be visible in Designer.
It's an old quirk we never got round to fix.
@vincent : RGBA nodes handle 16bpc, but only with the GPU engines.

Thanks for the explanation Cyrille.

Yah having the Max option available in color mode really confused crap out of me when things started acting different. Oh well...

I love Substance Designer and I am really trying to push what it can do so I am bound to fined some rough edges.

Thanks again for all your help.

^^

Hello guys. A search led me there. After a year these misleading drop menus are still there.
Thanks.