Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] How to install Substance UE4 plugin on any custom source built engine  (Read 18157 times)

Hey guys!
This is my first post so.. I hope I posted this in the right place lol.

If you want to use the substance plugin on your custom build of Unreal Engine 4 follow these steps:

Step 1: Download the plugin from Allegorithmic's Github Here (Just download the folder that says "Substance")

Step 2: Create a project in the engine that you desire to have the plugin.

Step 3: Go to that project folder and create a folder called "Plugins"

Step 4: Put the whole Substance folder that you downloaded into the Plugins folder

Step 5: In the project folder, right click the .uproject file and select "Generate Visual Studio Project Files".

Step 6: Build the project or just reopen the project in UE4
- If you reopen the project it will say that some binaries are missing and if you would like to rebuild them. Just hit yes

Step 7: Move the Substance folder that's in your project folder to your engine folder (/Engine/Plugins).

Now you have the substance plugin in your own Engine and you don't have to wait 20-40mins to compile a whole engine :)

If you have any questions or are confused on any steps just quote me on this thread

And to Allegorithmic:

Could we maybe get the plugin as a separate download from now on?
Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:11:59 pm

Hi mack!

The main reason we removed the prior zip downloads was to speed up response times for issues. In many cases the issues with the plugin are related to using source engine downloads with the binary build or vice versa. Adding a zip file to our website would add an extra dimension and take much longer to debug issues :(

That being said, you are on the right track and this is a really good post. Users should use the marketplace if they use the Epic Launcher, and Users should use the Substance Github if compiling from source.

1. Unpack your build UE.
2. In root folder run Setup and Generate Project File.
3. Open Plugin folder (Root/Engine/Plugins) and copy the downloading Substance (git version).
4. Open UE4 Microsoft Visual Studio file (Studio 2013-2015)
5. Wait loaded. Click Build and Build and UE. Wait building.
6. Build ShaderCompileWorker.

Done!

way

i couldn't compile substance plugin 4.14.0.18 version over unreal engine 4.15 ...
is it possible to release an prototype for unreal engine 4.15?
thanks.
Me too, i had failed to compile Substance source plugin to ship with UE4 Engine. The compiler complaining about cant find the private library of substance.

Above tutorial works fine using new projects and build substance plugin from there.

Hi,

In the latest 4.14 update you can now compile a blueprint only project that uses the Substance plugin.

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:55:16 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

What's the state of your sources on GitHub? I can see there are apparently no updates for anything newer than 4.14, which is a bit sad since I just considered using Substance in the UE 4.18 I built from Source...

What's the state of your sources on GitHub? I can see there are apparently no updates for anything newer than 4.14, which is a bit sad since I just considered using Substance in the UE 4.18 I built from Source...

Hi,

We no longer upload builds to Github. We release directly on marketplace and then post a build on our forums. The forum release also contains the source code for plugins same as if downloaded from github or it can work out of the box like downloaded from marketplace.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,18792.0.html

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I see. So, using the exsiting builds for 4.18 fails, and building it also fails, but the errors look like basic non-existant 4.18 compatibility, which is fine by me. I'll open a support ticket with a patch when I fixed those. ;)

Anyway, one should probably unstick this topic!

I see. So, using the exsiting builds for 4.18 fails, and building it also fails, but the errors look like basic non-existant 4.18 compatibility, which is fine by me. I'll open a support ticket with a patch when I fixed those. ;)

Thanks! I will unstick this thread. We don't have builds for 4.18 yet. Are you working for Epic and testing on an internal build?

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

We don't have builds for 4.18 yet. Are you working for Epic and testing on an internal build?

Uh, eh, no! I'm just a random software developer who works with C++ professionally and just started looking into UE for a project.

I'm building UE4 based off their semi-public GitHub (available to everyone who linked their GitHub account with an epic.com account), and the sources in the master/promoted branch are, in fact, 4.18 work-in-progress sources. Usually, I'd use a stable build, but since 4.17.1 contains an issue that blocks my environment, I have to stick to building UE4 myself until 4.18 is released.

Edit: Okay, I give up. After fixing two obvious build errors, I run into issues with build paths not matching and APIs that got removed. Too bad, but I'll wait until 4.18 is released and you officially support it. :)
Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:46:04 pm

Thanks! I will unstick this thread. We don't have builds for 4.18 yet. Are you working for Epic and testing on an internal build?

Cheers,
Wes

Hello Wes,

Is there any chance I can make the substance plugin work on 4.18 preview 3?

My project's deadline is next week and I doubt by that time 4.18 will be released + substance plugin updated on marketplace and I would really like to use 4.18's new Lightmass.