Author Topic: Substance Painter 1.4.0 Thumbnails not generating.  (Read 8425 times)

Newbie here. I just installed all the software this morning. I opened Painter 1.3 then got a notification to download and install the latest 1.4 build. So i just installed Painter 1.4 on my Mac Book Pro. I noticed none of the thumbnails are generating in the Shelf. They where all working on the previous version. So yeah just a heads up to everyone. Curious if there is a fix, or if this is a bug that needs to get worked out.  (The attached image is what it looks like)

Can you try to launch Painter and then open a project (like one of our sample project) ?
This should help the materials to generate their previews.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Same here I opened my project and non of the map icons are generated either. Although Baking is working I would really like to have the icons too :)
Latest build Yosemite.
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Fix!
Okay seem to be able to fix this after a couple of attempts opening one of the sample projects seems to rebuild all the icons. It takes a long time and the first attempt the program hung and had to be force closed.
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Fix!
Okay seem to be able to fix this after a couple of attempts opening one of the sample projects seems to rebuild all the icons. It takes a long time and the first attempt the program hung and had to be force closed.
I just tried this, and it does seem to be grabbing more thumbnails...but I am at 5 minutes now...and I say maybe 40% is done, and I can't see anymore recompiling, it's super slow trying to move up and down material navigation bar though.

Ohhh, I see more popping up.... yeah...looks like it just takes awhile

woohoo! bug party!

yup, me too!

i pointed it at my textures folder - it tried to calculate some icons then gave up , clearing all other icons.

this would be funnier but even the brush preview has the *regenerating* icon :P u bricked it guys ^.^
Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:52:39 am

removing all my custom paths from shelf allows substance to regenerate normally.

re-adding a folder full of misc stuff (tex, substances, other files) jammed it again (no new icons generated, but original ones stayed)

clearing that, i began to add folders that i knew were full of harmless jpegs.
so far, none of these have caused icon generation to jam, altho theyre approaching the same number of files.

i've had problems with a few programs hanging up when they get to a thumbnail they cant generate. i remember illustrator thumbnails were a particular bitch.

perhaps substance is trying and failing on just a few files - either corrupted substance files (old versions, had a few of these in the original filepaths) or some kind of image format it cant generate but is trying to anyway.

it seems that if you keep to folders containing more common image formats, this problem doesnt occur.

meh, actually its coming back. seems to be just a question of volume.
also, no layer icons are being generated.

... having just looked again, some are coming back now. i'll just wait and see if it sorts itself out...

plsfix guys xxx
Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:08:58 am

woah woah woah woah woah.

i've just found out that shelf has been placing an entire folder heirarchy inside every single filepath entered into the shelf.

its made a mess of my texture folders gdi, and it hasnt even worked.  booo. not cool, and probably recursive naming conflicts everywhere now.

also, the alg.meta folder just contains smaller versions of the files? like, the same filetypes extensions, but not readable as those filetypes. whats this going to do to my os search? this means i will constantly be opening the wrong files everywhere!

this is way messy, im clearing this up and not using the shelf no more till its respectable.
Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:19:04 am

woah woah woah woah woah.

i've just found out that shelf has been placing an entire folder heirarchy inside every single filepath entered into the shelf.

its made a mess of my texture folders gdi, and it hasnt even worked.  booo. not cool, and probably recursive naming conflicts everywhere now.

also, the alg.meta folder just contains smaller versions of the files? like, the same filetypes extensions, but not readable as those filetypes. whats this going to do to my os search? this means i will constantly be opening the wrong files everywhere!

this is way messy, im clearing this up and not using the shelf no more till its respectable.

Hi,

This feature allows you to change/add new folders for the shelf. This is mainly for teams who want to have a common shelf over the network. In previous versions the shelf folder was in Documents/Allegorithmic and couldn't be changed. Now you can :)

It shouldn't be used to monitor an existing directory, as it's not the aim of the feature, and it may mess things up indeed.

Cheers,
Nico
Head of Product Management

Hey guys, sorry for the inconvenience.
We are currently looking into multiple issues regarding the shelf thumbnails. We will try to fix it as soon as possible.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Note: I only have this problem (thumbnails) if I double click on a Substance Painter File (Project) which open Painter. If I regular open Substance Painter and load a project via the menu everything is ok.
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

Note: I only have this problem (thumbnails) if I double click on a Substance Painter File (Project) which open Painter. If I regular open Substance Painter and load a project via the menu everything is ok.
If the thumbnails have been generated and then you close painter, does launcher painter via a spp file re-launch their generation ?
-----------

If the thumbnails have been generated and then you close painter, does launcher painter via a spp file re-launch their generation ?
I thought I record a video with the issue and I found out that it is not happen with every project.
Only certain ones ... but I cannot specify that issue any further!

Its fresh uploaded maybe youtube needs time to show it in HD
https://youtu.be/oyq_7GwoQTc

(You can download the file here its Scene 08)
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)