Author Topic: Substance Designer: Procedural rocky ground material series  (Read 78312 times)

Aha! Works like a charm!  Thank you Wes!

Aha! Works like a charm!  Thank you Wes!

Great! Glad to help : )

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,
I am new to SD 5, and I was trying to replicate the pattern that you have used for the cracks. I reallized that you have exposed some of the parameter values. in order for me to find out initially what number you plugged in to make the crack patter, how can I find them? Do I have to right click on the graph, find the exposed parameter, and basically what I see in the "Default" value is what you plugged in initially to creat the pattern?
I hope my question was clear, if not plz let me know because I am very eager to creat this material, I have downloaded and opened the .SBS attached file, when I click on the pattern , right click to see the reference graph, some of the values are exposed, I just cant figure out how to find out what value you punched in to create the pattern
Cheers,
Roozbeh

Hi Wes,
I am new to SD 5, and I was trying to replicate the pattern that you have used for the cracks. I reallized that you have exposed some of the parameter values. in order for me to find out initially what number you plugged in to make the crack patter, how can I find them? Do I have to right click on the graph, find the exposed parameter, and basically what I see in the "Default" value is what you plugged in initially to creat the pattern?
I hope my question was clear, if not plz let me know because I am very eager to creat this material, I have downloaded and opened the .SBS attached file, when I click on the pattern , right click to see the reference graph, some of the values are exposed, I just cant figure out how to find out what value you punched in to create the pattern
Cheers,
Roozbeh

Hi Roozbeh,

The parameters are exposed on the tile random node within the cracks graph. Since those parameters are exposed, they are promoted to the root of the graph and can be found under the Instance Parameters. To get to the root of the graph, you can double-left-click an empty space in the graph. Then, check the parameters window under Instance Parameters to see the exposed values. You can also click the page button icon on the top right of the instance parameters to put them in preview mode, which allows you to view them as the actual sliders, buttons or input fields. Here you can see the values I used.

I hope you like the training thus far : ) I'll be creating another rock ground material for an upcoming Unity series as well.

Cheers,

wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey Wes!

Great, tool, I love the quick functionatilities of the tool, I'm trying my first atlas using multiple materials with it and it's great.

Nevertheless, I also encountered the bug others described about pixel offets being incorrect. I'm trying to find what caused it but I'm not entirely sure yet. The bug can even be seen inside Substance itself, as I exported my UV snapshot of Maya and multiplied it in the base color inside the software. Here are some prints of the settings I've tweaked if you would like to take a look. I also am attaching a dropbox link of my substance file, it is very simple, it's using the default materials so it is very small.

I can assure that the problem isn't in the uv snapshot as I precisely placed those UVs.
For now the only tweaking I've found is to manually offset it around 5-20 pixels (the offset bug varied a little for me)

Lastly, it's also important to mention that I modified the texture atlas by increasing the maximum offset to 4096(instead of the old 2048)

Cheers!

Substance project link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trlulkwsp2lrfx5/AACG9C8j16gFt9Yybrj7i6gwa?dl=0
Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:13:17 pm

I was hoping you had time for one question. I exposed parameters in the main graph "stones", and imported the published material with all 3 graphs into Unreal Engine 4. (i did install the latest plugin).

For some reason, when i change any of the exposed parameters in the Stones material, nothing updates in the engine. I tried messing with the cracks and pebbles variable in the initial graphs inside UE, but still nothing updates. This is even the case when i change the material texture resolutions. Did i miss something? is there bug or is it something i for got to do?

I know its Friday and I wish i didn't have to bother you with this, but any help you would be able to spare I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks for being awesome.

Hiram

Hello all,

Really I just wanted to say what a FANTASTIC tutorial this is, I was pretty much able to follow along with it in real time and the result is absolutely fantastic. Thank you Wes for putting in such a great effort on creating these tutorial series'..

I would certainly love to see more of them on other conical material types such as wood, Metals, concretes, plasters, everything... If you have the time. :)

Here is a grab of my end result.

Thank you again Wes,
I really learned a lot from this.

Adam, 

I was hoping you had time for one question. I exposed parameters in the main graph "stones", and imported the published material with all 3 graphs into Unreal Engine 4. (i did install the latest plugin).

For some reason, when i change any of the exposed parameters in the Stones material, nothing updates in the engine. I tried messing with the cracks and pebbles variable in the initial graphs inside UE, but still nothing updates. This is even the case when i change the material texture resolutions. Did i miss something? is there bug or is it something i for got to do?

I know its Friday and I wish i didn't have to bother you with this, but any help you would be able to spare I would greatly appreciate.

Hiram

Hi Hiram,

I'm not sure what would cause this problem. It should be updating. It could be that the process is taking a very long time. Can you check the Project Settings>Plugins>Substance and make sure that the Memory Budget is set to 2048? This might be the issue.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hello all,

Really I just wanted to say what a FANTASTIC tutorial this is, I was pretty much able to follow along with it in real time and the result is absolutely fantastic. Thank you Wes for putting in such a great effort on creating these tutorial series'..

I would certainly love to see more of them on other conical material types such as wood, Metals, concretes, plasters, everything... If you have the time. :)

Here is a grab of my end result.

Thank you again Wes,
I really learned a lot from this.

Adam,

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much : ) Its really great to hear that. I'm working on a new series now which will cover a procedural ground as well. I hope to get it released in December.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hiram

Hi Hiram,

I'm not sure what would cause this problem. It should be updating. It could be that the process is taking a very long time. Can you check the Project Settings>Plugins>Substance and make sure that the Memory Budget is set to 2048? This might be the issue.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes, Thanks for replying. I checked it and it is at 256. But i can't change it. I'll be setting up a blueprint later on to change all my substances resolutions at the start screen, but i have all other substances in the same project at 2048. Its definitely the multiple graphs. I tried it again, same material, but everything in 1 graph, it works that way. It just looks really complex in Designer once i open it.

Hiram

Hi Hiram,

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes, Thanks for replying. I checked it and it is at 256. But i can't change it. I'll be setting up a blueprint later on to change all my substances resolutions at the start screen, but i have all other substances in the same project at 2048. Its definitely the multiple graphs. I tried it again, same material, but everything in 1 graph, it works that way. It just looks really complex in Designer once i open it.

HI,

Can you explain the setup for the multiple graphs? Do you have multiple graphs that are instanced into a single graph which is then applied to an asset in UE4?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Yup, I set it up exactly like you did. The way my game is set up is that i make these small levels inside of blueprints. usually, i would just work inside of the main map, but that's not the case here. I think that's why its glitching. I'll keep fiddling around with it, maybe i'll find a way to work it out.

Yup, I set it up exactly like you did. The way my game is set up is that i make these small levels inside of blueprints. usually, i would just work inside of the main map, but that's not the case here. I think that's why its glitching. I'll keep fiddling around with it, maybe i'll find a way to work it out.

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce it. I checked another substance where there are several graphs instanced into a single graph and the parameters are working. You need to expose the parameters in graph A, then in graph B, you need to expose them again. Graph B is what is applied as a material in UE4. Can you send me the substance file?

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi there, great tutorial series but it seems I am having some issues when I try to instance "Cracks" from the graph into the "Stones" graph it's giving me an instance box with 6 Outputs (base colour etc with cracks and pattern at the bottom) and no image is showing in the instance box. I've followed your instructions to the T a couple of times now and wonder if you could tell me why this is happening? Cheers!

Hello everyone, quick question for ya'll if someone has the time.
I started this series this morning and am quite enjoying it but have run into a snag.
As illustrated in the image I am getting error connections but I am plugged exactly
the same as Wes is at this point in the video. You will also notice the grey scale nodes
that the system is automatically adding. Not sure what those are about.

Any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony