Author Topic: Virtual Worlds - Second Life - Questions and Sugestion inquiry! :)  (Read 7485 times)

Hi there! :)
First of all i would like to say i am trying substance painter and designer and i love them out of the box! However i have a few
questions.

A bit of background might make sense. Among other things i do a lot of asset creation for virtual worlds like SecondLife, OpenGrid and other worlds alike. I was looking in ways to implement Substance designer and painter in the work flow, knowing however before hand that this are tools designed for PBR based engines, which secondlife is not.
Secondlife engine is based on OpenGL API, is old, and is maintained to give a wide spectrum of computer specs access. This means they have 2 types of shaders:
A) Basic Shader, based on ONE Difuse Texture. This is intended to be the setting used by most ppl with avg to mid computers.
B) Advanced Lighting Model Shader, This bases itself on a Difuse Map, Roughness and Normal Map.

Now work flow wise, working for the Shader B is quite straight forward. However I am finding a little frustrating hickup while trying to get my work and texturing off Substance Painter for the Basic Shader.
What i would like to do is this: bake to a single texture all the "fake" lighting effects and shinyness that i can see on the rendered 3D and 2D view ports on SP, however strangely enough, and although ALL i need is there in the 2D View Port, i cant save it down to a texture.
What i mean is this:
For the ADvanced Lighting Model, i can export Base colour, Roughtness and Normal maps, and combine them within secondlife, and the render engine will do the rest. However while doing this same work what i wanted to do is simply save the "baked" texture that shows on the 2D view port so i can simply use it on the Basic Shader so it mimics environment lighting within second life, but that seems impossible to do.

So my question is:
- Can i somehow simply Save the 2D viewPort texture, with all the shading and lighting effects into one texture to use on SecondLife or any other static Engine?
- If this inst possible, would it be any 3rd party renderer that you guys know and recomend that would allow me to take the different maps created on substance painter and bake them DOWN into 1 texture?
Again, i know SP is not intended to work on non PBR engines, however seems a little odd to add another program in the work flow when what i need is THERE in the 2D view port.

Any Sugestion?

Thank you
Gil

Hey Gil,

unfortunately you are correct: Substance Painter can't export the 2D view right now. This might be added in a future update.

What you can do to safe it anyway, like a workaround:
Make the 2D as big as possible and make a screenshot. This screenshot could be cropped to a power-of-2 resolution in Photoshop, for instance.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Nods i have thought of that, seems a bit of a weird hack though! :) i read meanwhile that baking textures will be implemented on 1.4 version?
can you confirm this please? and maybe an eta?

Meanwhile do you guys know of any renderer appliaction with bake to texture capabilities that i could use to bake down the textures created on SP?

Regards

If by baking textures you mean normal map, ambient occlusion and so on, it's already available since Substance painter 1.3.0.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

No i meant, bake Using the  normal map, ambient occlusion and so on, bake a Full rendered 1 single texture to use on Secondlife basic shader. Basicly want to GET in 1 texture what SP shows on the 2D Screen :) and as i cant save it i was looking for a renderer that could reproduce that

Let me Elaborate a little further if i can. lets say use this example of a boot:

(dont mind the quality was a quick draft)
I can from now easily export the maps to use within Secondlife with the shader they call "materials enabled" which allow the render engine to expose the Bump/Normals and Specular/Shininess based on texture maps i provide.

However, most people wont have those shader enabled in secondlife as its resource heavy, specially in very populated envoriments (lots of avatars) and or with lower resources computer. So i need to provide also a baked down 1 file texture that would give the boot in the 3d envoriment of secondlife its "looks". in a way then pretending and faking the envoriment lighting by have it baked, static, in the texture. And i have that in the 2d View, i just needed to export it somehow! :)

So idea would be, ONE work flow, 2 types of export. Texture maps + Final Bake.

This is a planned feature, we don't have an ETA yet though.

Hi

is there possible about 2d uv viewport save then how many year we have to wait for develop the SP

thank you

This feature is low in our priority list at the moment. We still plan to add it however.
Meanwhile you can use the baked lighting material/filter : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQfYklBVTY
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

This feature is low in our priority list at the moment. We still plan to add it however.
Meanwhile you can use the baked lighting material/filter : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQfYklBVTY

So it's been well over 2 years now. Is there any ETA yet on this feature? Many of us are requesting it for nonPBR based games such as secondlife or mobile gaming. Baked lightning is too cheap and gritty when you could just export the 2d viewport as a texture and get all the nice detailing that baked lightning cant even get close to doing.

I also create clothing for Second Life.  Any word on the possible export of the 2D window yet?

I dabble in creating for Second Life as well, and while I love this program and will continue to use it, I'd adore being able to have an export of the 2d view easily. I do use the baked texture filters, but can't seem to get it just right as it were. I know it's low on your priority list, but I think you'd have a decent base addition if you implemented the feature.

Regardless, thank you so much for an awesome program!

I'd love to have this feature already. Don't know why it was on low priority to begin with since it's in such great demand and would benefit them by having a tool other programs don't have.  :-\

This is a planned feature, we don't have an ETA yet though.

I need this feature, too.
Now, more than two years have passed.
Will this feature ever be done?

Meanwhile do you guys know of any renderer appliaction with bake to texture capabilities that i could use to bake down the textures created on SP?

Modo