Author Topic: Simple glass substance?  (Read 35172 times)

I've been having trouble setting up a good procedural glass texture in Substance Designer, to work in Unity 5. Which outputs do I use? Is there an easy way to control the transparency? I am trying to design a room with a lot of windows and all I need is a very basic understanding of simple glass for a window. I'm new to PBR and Allegorithmic in general and was hoping for some advice on which outputs to use/ how to set up a very basic glass material.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this question, i'll move it elsewhere if necessary. Any help on this topic would be very much appreciated.

Allen
3D art is magic.

Hey pawnswizard,

unfortunately, there is no easy way to create something like glass in Substance Designer/Painter with transparency.
Creating glass (like windows for buildings) without having transparency is quite easy, though.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Yes I understand now, this would be the property of a shader in Unity. I've been having serious difficulty imitating glass to my liking in the engine. It's either too transparent or not enough, and I can't find a good tutorial on the subject.
3D art is magic.

Hey pawnswizard,

as you mentioned correctly a glass material would be handled by the shader settings in the engine.
For the moment you can't recreate something like this in Substance, unfortunately, since Substance Designer does not have a Opacity feature like Substance Painter. The Opacity feature in Substance Painter works globally so you can't make a glass-like material there.
What you could try, though:
Export the maps from Designer/Painter frequently into your engine and try those settings out yourself until you get the desired results.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thanks for the tip! :)
3D art is magic.