Author Topic: Substance Painter to Octane Render Workflow  (Read 24162 times)

01. To get nearly same colors for comparison. Setup Octane with the same HDR as Substance Painter (Gamma 1 and Power 1).

Imager Setup
  • Gamma to 2.2
  • Response to Linear
Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:08:34 pm
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

Color Tool? Good to know! Substance Painter uses a different type of color picker or at least the values are different. For example I choose a neutral gray 50% in Photoshop and also in Octane but Substance Painter ist the only application which display other values so beware of that.
Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:16:43 pm
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

02. Export Preset for Octane

All textures in Octane use a standard of gamma 2.2, which give you not exactly the same result for the roughness as the viewport in Painter. However changing the gamma to 1.25 gives a pretty good result.

• Gamma 1.25
  • Index of refraction 1
Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:22:09 pm

The only different between Substance Painter and Octane is that scene objects in Octane are visible in the reflections. Enjoy  ;D

Cool, thanks for this.  I have been trying to figure this out as well but I'm stilling having some trouble.  Why do you think roughness values would show up as pure white in octane?  I have inverted the glossiness to no avail.  Check out my photo.  What exactly do you think I am doing wrong?

Your scene looks totally weird: Before we check the settings ( I guess you follow the steps / using the same settings ) just go to this octane forum topic, because there are some hints especially because of the black border around your sphere. Please check this before.

I just want to say thanks again for this.  After following your method to the teeth I finally got it to work right.  The key is to turn the Fresnel value to 1 in Octane otherwise the black from the diffuse texture will come through.  I have attached some experiments rendered in Octane with bitmaps exported from Substance Painter using the metal copper substance and the metal steel bumped substance.  I think a value of 1.25 to 1.5 for Gamma in the Roughness should be okay in Octane.

Nice :-) Yeah index of refraction has to be 1. I highlight / mark this setting in the screenshot.

Thanks for this!
Really good info.
Tell me, why do you export the spec map as rgba and not gray ?
I also wonder about your documents settings, do you setup a spec channel there or does painter convert the roughness or metallic to a spec ?

Thanks for this!
Really good info.
Tell me, why do you export the spec map as rgba and not gray ?
I also wonder about your documents settings, do you setup a spec channel there or does painter convert the roughness or metallic to a spec ?

Hey david_4,

The specular channel needs to be a color map, rather than a grayscale map, because metal reflections are coloured.
For dielectrics it doesn't always make that much sense, but the metals need to have color specular maps in order to work properly.
Substance Painter does not convert any of those maps.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Just a quick question:

Do I setup Octane textures to fit Painter, or do I have to setup something inside painter? (except the export config with the $texture...)

And:
Where does metallic go? As this seems to be octanes index Numer...

You can use Painter as you do normally.
I use the standard material setup:

• Base Color
  • Height
  • Roughness
  • Metallic

Octane use spec / glossiness material (inside of octane: glossiness is roughness). The glossiness channel which you can also export from painter is a inverted roughness map. So you can export the roughness channel from painter without any changes or you export the glossiness and invert the texture. Your choice :-)

If you use a roughness map in Octane: set the Index of Refreaction to 1.00. If you use the export preset, which I posted above you have the right naming for your material inside of octane.
Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:15:02 pm

Has anyone successfully got this to work in Octane Render Blender?

(Its hard to figure out, and there is not much info about it)
Please help :-)
Lakris

Its been a while

Has anyone figured out how to do it in Octane Render Blender, with success?

:)