Author Topic: How do I rename Texture Set layers?  (Read 14923 times)

It's easy enough to rename regular paint layers, but when I bring in geo from Maya, their names get changed to lambert shader names.  Should I be doing something differently when I'm exporting, and once they are in SP, can they be changed?  thx.

It's easy enough to rename regular paint layers, but when I bring in geo from Maya, their names get changed to lambert shader names.  Should I be doing something differently when I'm exporting, and once they are in SP, can they be changed?  thx.

Hi,

There is not a method to rename the texture sets. The textures sets are the material ID names you set in Maya. They should retain the name that you give the material in Maya. You can change the UV layout and mesh, but you currnetnly can't change the material names of the model. If you begin painting with "x" texture sets, you can go back to maya, change UVs and mesh topology, but you can't change the material IDs.

We are working on a method for updating texture sets in a future release.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

For whatever reason, when I export out of Maya, my mesh is losing the material names once in SP.  I'll keep investigating, and it's easy enough to add them through the "additional maps" pane.  btw, I'm going through the tutorial vids now and you've done a great job with them. Thanks Wes!

I'm having the same issue. Would love to be able to rename texturesets in Painter because they all come in as blinn and then numbers even though they are all named accordingly in Maya. Not sure why its not retaining their names.

UPDATE: I was using an obj export. FBX seems to work and retain the material names though. I guess obj does not.
Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:59:14 pm

The fact that the material names are lost when using obj files without mtl files is a bug which should be corrected with the next version of Painter.

Looking forward to it!

Make sure you export as an FBX from maya.  FBX will take material name to painter.

However if you are going to export it as OBJ then rename the "shading group" instead.

Are there any updates to this thread? I currently have an asset in production that could utilize this feature to prevent a serious amount of rework.

Any updates would be helpful. Thanks!

Just wanted to vote on this issue as well, I just finished a marathon session and my names are too long. yes i can just rename the textures after output but it just screws with my workflow.
I will put a sticky note on my monitor to remind me to fix the material names before ever going into painter, but the fact that we cant just rename the set is mildly infuriating.
just let us rename the set, then rename the material in our DCC... or if we re-import a mesh with different names give us a dialogue to tell substance painter what set goes with what set ( incoming on the left, current on the right.. drag the sets around to match)
other than this one issue i love the part of my job that involves painter. I actually feel happier working in painter.

Not a big deal as Material IDs properly name ahead in Maya or Max prevent that. But I have to agree with what's said above. Being able to rename the TextureSets seems to be something that's often necessary.