Author Topic: High quality blur not working  (Read 1041 times)

Hi guys, i'm having a problem, since about 2 days my high quality blur does not work, i can't drag up the slider of the quality parameter, it just stays at 0, have anyone of you encountered this ? maybe it's something from my pc ? thanks a lot for your help.

Hello @mdsoundsofficial,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I have not observed this behaviour on the Intensity parameter of the Blur HQ and Blur HQ Grayscale nodes. Can you please share a screen recording demonstrating the issue, the version of Substance Designer this behaviour occurs in, and an SBS package in which you can reproduce this?

I appreciate your patience!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

So i've made a recording which you can download from the link below
I've uninstalled and installed again the latest version of SD, and it does this in every graph, even on old substances.
The blur quality keeps jumping between 0 and 1 values, so basicaly blur HQ is broken for me, even if it's at quality 1, i don't think it works fine, also there is a chance that the issue is from my graphics card...as i've had some issues with it recently.
Anyway i am not sure what to do.
https://we.tl/t-woyoV9WCaF

Hello,

Thank you for providing this very help screen recording, as well as additional information about this issue.

Now I have a better understanding of the situation, I can clarify a couple of point about the Blur HQ and Blur HQ Grayscale nodes:
  • The Quality parameter is of type Integer and is clamped between 0 and 1. This effectively means its only possible values are 0 and 1. It is not possible to set any value in between.
  • The Blur HQ nodes are implemented using a chain of atomic Directional Blur nodes. When the Quality parameter is set to 1, the chain is overlaid with another chain with slightly different angles. This parameter has a very subtle impact which is not visible in most cases, but can be important when creating masks, working with height, etc.
In general, you can inspect the implementation of a node by clicking RMB on it and selecting the Open reference of Open reference in context in the contextual menu. Most notably, atomic nodes and SBSAR instance nodes can not be inspected.
This is a great way to learn about techniques and workflows in Substance Designer.

I hope this is helpful and informative!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team