Author Topic: Mesh maps artifacts at touching poly islands  (Read 826 times)

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to substance painter, so much so that this is quite literally my first ever attempt at a 'game ready' 3D asset.
I've done some 3D modeling / sculpting before but never tried baking high poly models to low poly models simply because it wasn't in my interest, anyway here's what I got, any help / advice would be appreciated!

I got a high poly model and a low poly one, both exported from blender (only the meshes with all transforms applied and no animation) as separate fbx files:

(the low poly model)

(the high poly model)

I started a new substance painter (version 2021.1.0 - 7.1.0) project and baked the mesh maps using the high poly model with these settings:

(the only thing I changed besides the common settings is that the ID map generates from vertex colors instead of materials)

Here's where things get interesting:

As you can see there are some weird artifacts around the parts that are touching.
I tried increasing and decreasing the max front and rear distances in the bake settings to no avail.
(Increasing made those areas to be even more "infected" and decreasing made no noticable difference.)

I'm pretty sure that there's something I'm doing wrong but I just can't put my finger on it.
I think my low poly mesh is OK for the most part (although definetly not perfect in terms of topology).
Here are some pictures of the high and low poly meshes intersecting as a reference:

I thought about adjusting the low poly mesh a bit to better fit the high poly skull at the bottom (yellow lines on the below picture) but that would not solve the other issues (blue highlights on the below picture), so I'm all ready to be enlightened about what I'm doing wrong here :)

FBX files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VvVEsYTJjvL_p_ruy4psZbfmdSZO9ukJ?usp=sharing

Thank you very much in advance!
(and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be specific and provide as much information as I could)

You should be baking by mesh name (your issue is most likely due to not doing this). Also don't just bake with default ray distances, see what works or use a cage. If your low and high match up well enough silhouette wise, and your UVs are good the rest will go fine.

Test Bake:

Otherwise you'll get these problems:

Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:55:53 pm
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Huge thanks! I never knew that was an option, so after fiddling around a bit with the mesh names in my model I managed to achieve the result you got.

I love the application and the community so far! Thanks again!