Author Topic: photoshop brush support?  (Read 6131 times)

I understand Substance Painter does not support .ABR format for photoshop brushes so I was wondering if there is a workaround to convert and then import the files to be used as alphas/brushes.  I have lots of custom brushes and watercolor brushes that would be wonderful to use inside of the program.

I understand Substance Painter does not support .ABR format for photoshop brushes so I was wondering if there is a workaround to convert and then import the files to be used as alphas/brushes.  I have lots of custom brushes and watercolor brushes that would be wonderful to use inside of the program.

You could import the alpha of the PS brush and use that as the alpha in Painter. By alpha, I'm referring to the shape of the brush, You would need to create the "alpha" map in PS using the brush and save this as a image.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I'm bringing this back from the dead on account that Photoshop still has the best brushes. 3DC has horrible brushes. Painter doesn't have the best "stroke" capabilities either. It's great at stamping, obviously, but what about the strokes? Any 3D painting App going to jump on this?

Is there a way to bring the full functionality of a PS brush into Painter, not just it's alpha? Thanks.

I'm bringing this back from the dead on account that Photoshop still has the best brushes. 3DC has horrible brushes. Painter doesn't have the best "stroke" capabilities either. It's great at stamping, obviously, but what about the strokes? Any 3D painting App going to jump on this?

Is there a way to bring the full functionality of a PS brush into Painter, not just it's alpha? Thanks.
What exactly are you looking for? There's an entire brush properties panel in painter with a follow stroke option. Lazy mouse can be turned on from the top bar as well.

Indeed there is place for improvement.
For importing the Photoshop full settings, no we can't: it belongs to them.

But improving the full settings is something we want to do at some point.

For importing the Photoshop full settings, no we can't: it belongs to them.

Now you can because you belong to them. so please do :D

Edit: Please move this thread to Feature Requests
Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:12:35 pm

not that simple, as the tech behind each brush system is different. But this is definitely a topic we want to tackle ;)