Author Topic: Multiple textures with alpha  (Read 6517 times)

I see that we cannot import PNG nor any other format supporting transparency to be able to use decal-like effects: any plan to support that in the future? Any ETA?

Do you mean as Substance Image Inputs in the content browser ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Yes Froyok, I see that I can only import Jpg, JPEG and TGA at the moment, so I cannot use any transparency in the input images in UE4, unless I'm missing something obvious?

You should be able to have transparency via a TGA file (as the Jpeg format doesn't support it).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

TGA 32 is messed up, is i fill the Alpha channel in black (transparent for TGA) I get the whole image 50% transparent via an odd line interleave, you can see it here:
http://gyazo.com/bb8e06ee733bbf3e40be72fa67b59858
In the image the stone wall is a substance and it has a second texture as a decal, and that is the result using the TGA file. The substance works fine in Unity, so some is wrong in UE4.
Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:01:17 pm

Hi,

I reproduced your issue and logged it in our database. We will try to fix it ASAP !
Meanwhile the only workaround that I see will be to export the RGB and the alpha separately, and to create 2 inputs in your substance (one being in color, the other one in grayscale).
-----------

Hi,

thanks for working on it. As I use the same set of substances on Unity as well I will wait for the fix to avoid to maintain 2 different sets.

Cheers,
Pino

I've just run into this issue and it breaks the project I'm working on.  :-\

Any idea when this might get fixed?  :D

Hi VertexPusher, It is a high priority issue and should be resolved soon. In the meantime using two maps can work as Froyok suggested.

Hi VertexPusher, It is a high priority issue and should be resolved soon. In the meantime using two maps can work as Froyok suggested.

Thanks for the update Josh.  I'm looking forward to working more with UE4.  Back to fiddling with Unity . . . Works great there!  ;D

I'll see what I can do  with the workaround in the meantime as well, but like DFT said I'd much rather not have to maintain more than one substance.

Just curious if this ever got fixed . . . ?

Hi VertexPusher,

This should be fixed. We are still working on fixing the compression issue with TGA inputs (next version), but TGA32 should at least work with the latest build.

Regards,
Josh

Any news on this? We really need to get this working :/

Hi DFT Games,

The latest version (4.7.3.6) will let you use uncompressed image inputs. Import your Substance Texture like normal, then double click on it to configure the compression level. 0 means lossless compression,  the rest are equivalent to JPEG compression levels.

Hi Josh,
In 4.7.3.6 as well there is no option to import a file capable of carrying transparency (PNG): we can only import JPG, JPEG and TGA. BTW, in this version if the image has any transparency it won't show at all :(