Author Topic: A lot of errors when trying to bake a high poly mesh  (Read 1747 times)

I tried to bake the mesh maps with a model I made in Zbrush. Halfway during the progress in ZBrush I tried to testbaked it and it worked out perfectly. Now I have finished my Model and it takes about 10 minutes until I get all the errors and half of the maps do not bake. Maybe its a problem with the file size (1.9 Gb HighPoly Mesh) or ZBrush did mess something up. How can i fix it? Any Ideas?

Please provide your high and low mesh.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

I took a look at your meshes and you need to correct a few things. The first thing I noticed was your High Poly version is 27,326,000 points... I don't see any reason to have a mesh like this that high, so I would suggest decimating it down to reduce your load. I took it down to 130k from 27mil and pretty much zero difference in looks.

Your low poly mesh has separate pieces so you'll need to bake by mesh name to avoid baking errors, however you High is merged so unless you have the ability to split or have another version with the sub-tools (zBrush) then you'll have to make your low poly contiguous. I however did split your high up to match your low:

Then it will bake fine (aside from the UV overlap issue)

Another quick issue is your UV shell is overlapping another so you'll want to check that which I didn't fix, but here is the screenshot:

Here is the .blend and low and high FBX:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ar2toacklqnsor/chesthelp.zip?dl=0

(Let me know when you download it as I will remove the link in a few days)
Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:53:22 pm

You are a gift send from heaven!

Thank you. it worked out nicely. But how did you decimate it?
I don't know any functions in ZBrush and that's why i had so much points, thought It would just give me a better bake.

And do you have some tips to get rid of these edges? I tried a bunch of baking settings but nothing worked out :/

I would have to look more to see why your bake has some issues but I don't have time right now to do so. Make sure the high and low are matching silhouette wise, check your edge support on the low poly, and your UVs. Also, make sure you're baking by Mesh Name and not ALWAYS.

Regarding decimating you can do that in zBrush using Decimation Master.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/zbrush-plugins/decimation-master/

Process All then decimate to a certain amount, then go back one step in history to see if it looks visually different, and go forward if you like the result, otherwise back again and redo it at another value.

Having more polygons doesn't mean you're getting better bakes. You have to consider if those extra polygons actual improve anything.
Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:08:43 am

The problem occurred after setting the max rear distance to 0.02. If I leave it at 0.01 the problem vanishes, but not all parts get perfectly baked :/
but it is hardly noticeable, so not as much pain

The problem occurred after setting the max rear distance to 0.02. If I leave it at 0.01 the problem vanishes, but not all parts get perfectly baked :/
but it is hardly noticeable, so not as much pain

I haven't look at it yet, but you have to be sure your meshes match up enough. The ray distances can be moved around to try to correct issues as not one setting will work 100% perfect for all meshes. Sometimes you need a cage instead if you cannot get good bakes.

I'll look at it later and post back.

Does it make sense to seperate the mesh and place all parts next to another for baking to have the best result and put all back together?

Bake by mesh name which is what I did with your mesh already does this. Exploding your mesh will give you the same result as this is how we used to bake prior - by name mesh replaces this.

In the past Painter has glitched a few times and Bake by mesh name didn't work so I had to explode it.

https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html

Double check and make sure you actually selected By Mesh Name as per my prior post, and not Always. When I bake and add two fills I get this (you can use 'Mesh Fill' since they're separate parts):

Beyond that consider texel density and your UV layout, and you might have to bump up your texture map size.