Author Topic: Exclude Texture Sets from influencing bakes and import keyframes for baking  (Read 206 times)

I'm sure I can't be the only one that has this workflow so I'm surprised it is not a feature already.

I work as a vehicle artist and the issue I face every project is brining my vehicle into Substance Painter and baking my model in a way that doesn't bake unwanted AO and artifacts from other meshes.

The vehicles I work on require many small decals all over the vehicle and these cause baking shadows if you use ignore backfaces set to never. However if you turn ignore backfaces to Always, then you don't get the shadows from the decals, but you get light leaking around geometery.

Since things like decals, glass and alpha planes are generally on a seperate texture set it woulds be nice that when I hide those texture sets they don't get included in the baking of the visible texture sets. Currently the work around is to go into 3DS max and remove the declas from the mesh and then import that version in to Substance Painter, bake the single texture set that needs to be baked with the missing geometery, and then re-import the original model with the decals in place. This is more than just hiding a single mesh from export as decals are often merged with the main mesh as they are skinned as one mesh for animation.

Further to this point of baking without having AO artifacts is it would be nice if we could have animation keyframes imported into Substance Painter and to be able to jump between them like we can with the cameras.

A vehicle has moving parts and if you bake moving parts in place then when they move you are left with nasty shadows in place. So currently the work around is in the 3DS Max we have a key frame with all the moving parts exploded in various positions to accomodate the baking. This works great but it can be annoying having components floating in random places so would be nice to be able to cycle through keyframes with the object as a whole and exploded for baking.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:20:24 pm

The vehicles I work on require many small decals all over the vehicle and these cause baking shadows if you use ignore backfaces set to never. However if you turn ignore backfaces to Always, then you don't get the shadows from the decals, but you get light leaking around geometery.

We recently added a new matching by name setting that allows to discard floating geometry only, see: https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.