Author Topic: Painter save corruption and bluescreens  (Read 416 times)

I've been getting bluescreens and usually accompanying save corruption while following the lantern video series. Latest crash log is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT code 0x0000001a caused by ntoskrnl.exe+1aaaf0. I've used sfc, dskchk, and dism to repair all corrupted Windows files, increased my page file size to 32gb, and uninstalled open-shell to no avail. All of the crash logs from SP itself are exception code 0xc0000409, fault offset 0x000000000006e14e, faulting module C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll.

I don't believe it's hardware related, GPU+CPU+RAM stress tests haven't caused any crashes, memtest86 found no faults, and this only happens when I've had Substance Painter open for a while during that session, but not necessarily while it's open. I once got a bluescreen while opening Blender a few minutes after SP crashed. This log file is from my most recently corrupted save.

I once got a bluescreen while opening Blender a few minutes after SP crashed. This log file is from my most recently corrupted save.
It's very likely that the drivers for your GPU is unstable or that your GPU is faulty. Substance Painter cannot produce BSOD, faulty hardware or drivers do however.

Try to update your GPU drivers, you are currently not using the latest version. Drivers 440.x are available.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Turned out my SSD was dying and the large writes from saving SP files and/or all the page file usage was causing system instability. I got a new SSD and have been using it with no problems.