Author Topic: Cant import smart materials from substance share  (Read 10803 times)

I fairly certain this is a read/write access regarding the file you downloaded, however at this point I'm not sure what external application could cause this. Usually it's the anti-virus which is a bit too zealous.

Can you check if maybe you don't have any known conflict ? See : https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/software-conflicts-147095610.html
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Nope dont have any of those issues.

I tried adding the golden_moldy file to the AVG exception list, no change.

At this point it's hard to pinpoint the source of the problem, so I'm afraid I will have more questions for you :

- Does it happen with texture/bitmap files, or are you able to import these without problems ?
- How much free space do you have on your disk drive ?
- Could you try uninstalling your Anti-Virus (temporarily of course) ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Yeah this bug is pretty bizarre.

- I just imported a few base materials, and a texture without issue
- I have 656GB free on that file drive, 150gb free on my windows/substance install drive
- Uninstalled AVG, no change
Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:29:45 pm

So I discussed about your issue with a developer, to see what we could do. Here a few new questions:

- Do you confirm that you can import anything except presets (smart materials, smart mask, brush presets) ?
- If you copy manually the Smart Materials into your installation folder (in the right location) do you still get the error ?
- Can you open the Smart Materials in other applications, such as notepad/notepadd++ ?
- Can you try to run the following command from a command line window open in Substance Painter folder :
Code: [Select]
"Substance Painter.exe" 1> output.txt 2>&1Then import the resource that fails and after that attach the output.txt file here.
Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:44:00 pm
-----------

-It seems to be only smart materials, and I just tested a smart mask: https://share.substance3d.com/libraries/2156  But some work, most dont.
-If I copy them to my installation folder, users/Interitus/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/Shelf/smart-materials,  they dont show up, no errors
-Can open them in notepad++

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter>"Substance Painter.exe" 1> output.txt >2&1
Access is denied.
'1' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter>"Substance Painter.exe" output.txt &1
'1' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Was this matter ever resolved? I'm having a similar issue. In my case I have a texture stored on an external hard drive that won't let me drag it into the shelf and comes up with the same 'an error occurred while opening...' as mentioned above. However if I move this file to my desktop and import it the same way it's fine.

Running as administrator does the same as mentioned above where I can't drag into the shelf at all. Permissions on the file should allow me to do everything with it, so not sure what the solution is. I don't really want to have to move textures to my local drive every time before I import. Thanks for the help in advance!

Was this matter ever resolved? I'm having a similar issue. In my case I have a texture stored on an external hard drive that won't let me drag it into the shelf and comes up with the same 'an error occurred while opening...' as mentioned above. However if I move this file to my desktop and import it the same way it's fine.
Does only the drag and drop has issues ? If you import the resource from the File menu or the dedicated button in the Shelf window does it work ?
-----------

Importing files from the file menu or the button on the shelf has the same result unfortunately.