Author Topic: UV mapping and Texel Density  (Read 4570 times)

Hey Internet ,

This is a super long post but I'm stuck and have to explain my entire thought process so hopefully someone can clear it up for me...

I'm currently building a prop in Maya to be later painted in Substance and I am hitting a wall when it comes to UV mapping, layout and texel density....

So the prop in question is this chapel it will measure roughly 10*10*12 meters...

I've broken down the prop in to smaller modular pieces as so....

I would like the scale of the prop to be 1 Maya unit is equal to 1 m.
EG: the red plane in the previous photo should be 1mx1m
Here are my Maya settings...

So I up to everyone's favorite job of UV mapping and I'm going insane because I only just started learning about texel density from this link

https://80.lv/articles/textel-density-tutorial/

So according to this tutorial a hero asset in a FPS game should have a texel density of 10.24 px/cm = 1024px/1m

I read through the tutorial and I feel like I understand it but then in practice it confuses the hell out of me.

Going back to my assets, the red plane in the photo is 1mx1m so if i want a texel density of 10.24px/cm this planes UV's should look like this on a 4K texture, note mayas TD tool is agreeing with me...

So for my assets if I then copy that TD from the red plane and apply it to the rest of my modular assets i get this ....

Huge UV shells that have no hope of fitting within the 0-1 space without cutting them up into so many pieces and having seems everywhere or having a ridiculous number texture maps to ensure my TD ratios is 10.24px/cm

I understand i can stack, mirror, butterfly or offset similar UVs and materials and this would work to some shells....but not for all...

For example the piece below is going to be the building base for the chapel, simple stone texture but i would still like to do a sculpt in Zbrush and add normal's to the low poly so it will need its own UV space . But at a TD ratios of 10.24px/cm its UVs for a single poly doesn't even fit in the 1-0 space of a 4k texture!

Now if I take all my UV shells and do a Maya 3d layout (Crtl+L) it gives me this something like this with a TD ratio of 1.6px/cm still using a 4K texture ... this will result in very poor quality texture no?

But if i change my maya settings like so.... 

my working units are now in CM now my model will be at a scale of 1:100 yes?

So I then again do the same UV layout on now the TD ration is at around 161px/cm as so

So the big question is the UV layout in the final image a good one??

If I continue my workflow with this UV map, move into Zbrush for Hi-Res and Substance for painting will the texture quality now be better than 10.24px/cm and super detailed. Will I be able to have individual sculpted detail show up nicely on my model.

Going back to the first image of the constructed chapel should I aim to have only 1 set of texture maps for an asset of this size. Given that i do want to port the asset into unreal eventually and be able to run around inside it with and FPS camera setup.

Anyways I hope someone can help me out because this TD stuff is literally making me crazy...

An asset this size, you would likely want to either use tileable materials or multiple texture sets. With everything packed on one texture set, you will likely end up with a low resolution looking object in FPS.

Joel hi, I wander whether you find an answer to your question? I am faced same problems that you accurately mentioned one by one. If you have an answer would you please be wise and take your time to answer it. Let aside I couldnt find any asnwer but I was not able to clarify my questions as good as you. this is my email adres if you decide to help me  mammadovakamila@yahoo.com    Thank you in advance