Author Topic: Do I always need to triangulate my meshes?  (Read 285 times)

Hi there.

I was wondering if I need to keep my meshes triangulated after finishing my texture work on Painter. I usually keep the triangulated meshes on my scenes for proper render, but it's necessary? I only triangulate not deformable meshes. For texturing deformable objects I send to Substance in quads.

Any recommendations? Best practices.

Thanks!
CG generalist at @digi_fix animation studio located in Osaka, Japan.

Considering that we render in Tris, and if you provide a Quad mesh then your mesh is going to get triangulated by the renderer. Different rendering applications might triangulate your mesh differently which can produce inconsistent results.

My work flow is like this:

1. Keep a quad version that you can work on as quads are easier to deal with.

2. Before baking, and texturing your mesh you will want to convert your quads to tris and make sure you're alright with the shadding.

3. You can now continue to use your tri version of your mesh without worrying about any problems as the renderer doesn't need to convert it so you wont get different results per application.

This has always been my understanding, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Thanks for the reply. Your answer confirms my long nights' analysis of triangle and quads. Yes, I know that in the end everything is triangulated. At some point, I remember that I was having some strange results from Substance textures on none triangulated meshes.

Thanks for sharing!
CG generalist at @digi_fix animation studio located in Osaka, Japan.