Author Topic: Blank opacity map in MAYA  (Read 2227 times)

Hi there,
I'm trying to make a very simple shader in order to use it with maya/arnold.
I need it to have an opacity slot and it works as expected in substance player, but not in MAYA.
When I create the connections from the substance node, the opacity map it creates is blank and I don't know why.
I can post the .sbs file just in case you want to check it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

the sbs may help indeed

Here you have it.
Please keep in mind that I am a complete ignorant and I am learning ;)

did you try passing the alpha in 8 bits?
if it does not work, I'll move the thread to the Maya sub forum, as I didn't see any issue in your graph.

I'll try and let you know (glad to read my first graph is error-free!)

I've made a new version with the opacity in 8bit with no luck...
In fact I've detected another thing that is not working as expected.
My graph hast two height maps that mix and produce the final normal map (each is tweakable via custom parameter). The normal map shows correct inside designer and viewer (with the .sbsar file), but inside Maya, only one of them shows in the normal map..., strange.
I've attached the newer file for your consideration.
Thanks in advance.

Hi joiecito,

My guess is there's some sort of engine incompatibility in the Maya plugin, I was able to reproduce at least the opacity map issue. For me, it renders completely white. The normal map looks like it's losing some details as well.

We won't be doing any more updates to the current plugin, but there's a new plugin that should be out soon. I tested it on that, and it looks like it renders correctly, so I think the issue should be fixed when we release the 2.0 plugin in the next few weeks.

Best,
Galen

Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya and 3ds Max
galen.helfter@allegorithmic.com

These are my results in the new plugin (still in development).
Maya and 3ds Max

Thank you very much, in your new version it looks exactly as it should.
Now I'm asking..., Am I the only one with such basic abnormal behaviour?, no one found non working opacity output?, Are you serious? LOL
Another question, May it's me and I've done anything wrong in my graph that prevents opacity to show inside MAYA?
Thanks in advance.

I don't think it's the opacity map as a whole, but that the plugin incorrectly handles one of the nodes used in the sbs, and it just happens to show itself in the opacity. The normal also renders incorrectly, so I think that is more likely.

Since I can have it render correctly in the new plugin, it isn't how you created your graph, but an error in the plugin. This is one of the reasons it's being redone, and we can make sure to add it to the tests of sbsars.

Best,
Galen
Maya and 3ds Max

Do you have a time estimation of when will be available?.
Thanks in advance.

We're looking at entering beta in the next week or so. The public release should be a bit after that. I don't have an exact timeline, but likely within a few weeks after that.
Maya and 3ds Max

I've downloaded the new plugin and try to load my substance file (little fix version) and MAYA crashes at loading it. What could be the problem?
Since MAYA just crashed without notice, I can't debug what's happening...