Author Topic: Creating your first Substance Material Training Course  (Read 15603 times)

Dear all, is there a solution for Shape Splatter being black no matter what?
I saw the thread somewhere here, but no solution. I've followed the tutorial, re-made it again, the result is the same :(

Dear all, is there a solution for Shape Splatter being black no matter what?
I saw the thread somewhere here, but no solution. I've followed the tutorial, re-made it again, the result is the same :(

Hi,

I haven't seen this happen before. I think it might have to do with the height offset settings. Can you post this sbs file and I will take a look.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey,
I have same issue. Shape Splatter is always black. I mess around with heigh offset and scale, it did nothing.
I created new project just with Shape Splatter node. It is not working there either.

Back in August @4rt3us asked about having to reset everything when opening the file again, but there don't seem to be any replies. I'm having the same issue - basically has to restart the tutorial before I worked out what was going on.

Is there a way to save without having to do this? Can I suggest adding a note about this as it's pretty confusing for first time users!

Heya!

I having troubles on the part there I need to add a twig shape with shape splatter.  By a some reason it looks like this:

What can be the problem here?

I don't know why, but in my case height channel doesn't contain opacity information by a some reason. So I add one more output in twig description for opacity and then use it to cut out the twig shape. This is kinda strange..  It would be nice if someone can answer what am I doing wrong here.

Thanks for the training. It covers and explains a lot in a good pace.

I had the same problem as wyciek.
This also happened in your video. See lesson 2-10 where the 3d view map is okay. During lesson 2-11 the 3d view is flat with a few peeks and the plane is completely grey. But this issue seems to be gone in lesson 2-12 where the 3d is showing details again.

To wyciek: What solved the 'problem' is right clicking on the base material icon and drag it to the 3d view window.

hi Wes, very detailed tutorial ;p. can You tell me what is wrong? my preview mesh is flat  :-[

edit: image not showing.

i connect 3 nodes(generator, normal and AO to base material but plane is flat)
Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:14:30 pm

Hello everyone.
Since 02-07 I don't have the preview in the 3D view.
It's difficult to learn and understand the tutorial without the preview.

Here the full graph image: https://imgur.com/2LK2VXZ

Drag the base material icon to the 3D view window, didn't work
The 2D preview is also wrong.

ps: I'm using the "regular" Perlin Noise, not the "3D" version

After some days spend on the tutorial, the 3D view is finally working ( from the chapter 04 I think)
Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:38:19 am

Second problem (step 04-02)

1/ When I want export in sbsar I got this error

2/ The sbsar we just make can not be imported in UE4.
On the last video, they use a dirt_ground_INSTA. But without explanation of how to do it and import it inside UE4.
I would like to know if there is an other tutorial video about that.

Thank you
Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:16:08 am

Second problem (step 04-02)

1/ When I want export in sbsar I got this error

2/ The sbsar we just make can not be imported in UE4.
On the last video, they use a dirt_ground_INSTA. But without explanation of how to do it and import it inside UE4.
I would like to know if there is an other tutorial video about that.

Thank you

Hi,

This publish error is mentioning that you have some missing dependencies. This can happen if you imported a graph into another graph, but then changed the location of that original imported graph. Do you import any sbsar or sbs files and you them in the graph you are trying to export?

Cheers,
WEs
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Quote from: Wes McDermott link=topic=27376.msg125342#msg125342 date=158376754
[/quote

Hi,

This publish error is mentioning that you have some missing dependencies. This can happen if you imported a graph into another graph, but then changed the location of that original imported graph. Do you import any sbsar or sbs files and you them in the graph you are trying to export?

Cheers,
WEs

Hi WEs,
Compare to the tutorial, the only different thing I did is to import your sbs (from substance academy) in my project. Just to check why my 3D view didn't work. But it was working with your file, so I deleted it and I continued the tutorial. But because of that maybe,  my 3D view stared working well with my nodes.

Cheers

Hi Wes, first off I wanted to commend you on your tutorial skills. Very well done. I just started working in Substance Designer and am following your tutorial. I got to the point where we dragged the custom twig node into the dirt node area and I duplicated it and revised the shape. Couple of things went wrong after that:

1. After I inserted Shape Scatter, I couldn't connect the twig node to the pattern 1 or pattern 2? I actually had to drag a node FROM pattern 1 and 2 to the two twig nodes to get the connection to 'attach'. After doing so I could see the twig patterns in 2D window.

2. I cannot see any twigs in 3D window.... no matter what settings I change to nothing was showing up. So i exited and rebooted thinking maybe it was a graphics issue.

3. When i reopened my project, the 2D material window was blank. I clicked on material right node and got 2D window to show up, but I cannot see my material in 3D window. That is looking like default setting with nothing showing up.

I don't know why it's not showing up or why I cannot see my twigs on my surface (when 3D window was working).

This is frustrating since I'm loving this process and creating what I have so far... I wouldn't want to have to restart the project over. Any help would be appreciated.

Wes, i was able to get my info to show up but it was on a flat plane. I had to go and edit my flat plane to raise it back up to a "10" scale. Then my twigs and all were visible.

Now my problem is, when I exit and go back into the project, a 3D Cube shows up by default and I have to go in and change to a flat plane again and go through all the steps to get it to be at scale 10 again. I "pinned" the 3D view but that didn't do anything.

Please help. Thanks.

Wes, i was able to get my info to show up but it was on a flat plane. I had to go and edit my flat plane to raise it back up to a "10" scale. Then my twigs and all were visible.

Now my problem is, when I exit and go back into the project, a 3D Cube shows up by default and I have to go in and change to a flat plane again and go through all the steps to get it to be at scale 10 again. I "pinned" the 3D view but that didn't do anything.

Please help. Thanks.
[Hey Kaitlyn I encountered the exact same issue as you. After much time I realized it had to do with having link creation mode not set to Standard. If you are not able to see this hopefully if someone else has the problem this will help them.]

Hi Wes, I am going over this tutorial on a Mac and 02-07 shape splatter node is not working. its outputting black. is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong?