Author Topic: X-TAON: City Lights  (Read 472 times)

Hi all,

This is my entry "City Lights", I hope you don't find overly pedantic the Magritte reference "This is not a..." because I believe that he would flip out after seeing of what this software is capable of with procedural approaches. The big brush strokes are just procedural masks with some others on top with different tonal values and colors, and all the little lights are a few tile generators with different randomization settings, then brushing the mask to reveal warm or cool lights where I wanted them.

Doing this approach made me think about the great potential that Painter has to be also a concept art and digital painting software. I could have achieved a similar brushwork with Photoshop and stamp the final artwork through stencils, triplanar, etc. With Painter on this specific work just tweaking the generators I could change almost everything at any time, windows sizes and shapes in XY, intensity, random offset in XY, random luminosity, position and so on, same thing with the big brush strokes. Once you have that "initial recipe" to generate whatever you intend to there is a beautiful general Random button that takes all your inputs and gives you endless iterations and happy accidents, this is also awesome for thumbnails before the concept. We humans are really bad at randomizing and repetitive tasks could kill the momentum, probably leading to some procrastination. Procedural approaches makes all this a pleasure and an infinite source of unexpected outputs.

I must say that this is my second work in Painter and I may be having a Stendhal software syndrome or something.

Cheers!

Nice! Good job :)
Jan Trubac - 3D Modeler | CG Artist
www.artstation.com/jantru

looks nice, i like the idea of city lights view from a sky..

Tho don't want to be a dush.. but you guys known entries closed 4 days ago right? on 18th of Dec

I sent my entry on time (20 minutes before closing though ;D )

Are you seeing the city from a top view? That's interesting, I didn't want to define too much the buildings silhouettes to have that ambiguity, either a top view or a front view.

I'm editing a video of the whole process right now, hope to upload it soon, maybe someone can use this technique for their 2D games or something.

Thanks Karti200 and jantru.

Making of