Author Topic: Normal issues on seam -- a way to fix it in Painter?  (Read 8228 times)

Hi there,

I'm seeing this ugly seam , mostly visible when light is reflecting off the shoulder of this character.  Removing the normal map removes the seam so I'm pretty sure the normal map is to blame. 

Unfortunately I don't have the high poly mesh and the modeler who was hired for the project is MIA and not responding.

Is there a way to fix this in painter?  I've attempted normal and/or heigh adjustments to the area, but that doesn't seem to fix anything.  the seam persists.

Thanks for any pointers!

Normal map format might be wrong. Switch it from DirectX to OpenGL (or vice versa, Edit -> Project Configuration -> Normal map format). Or export the normal map and invert the green channel in Photoshop.

Without seeing the model itself, the maps, and even the UVs (with indication of hard edges, and smoothing) I cannot tell you.

You need to have your UVs setup properly otherwise you can create nasty seams. Your image alone isn't enough to answer your question.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Without seeing the model itself, the maps, and even the UVs (with indication of hard edges, and smoothing) I cannot tell you.

You need to have your UVs setup properly otherwise you can create nasty seams. Your image alone isn't enough to answer your question.
Normal map format might be wrong. Switch it from DirectX to OpenGL (or vice versa, Edit -> Project Configuration -> Normal map format). Or export the normal map and invert the green channel in Photoshop.

Here are the model I'm using and the normal map. 

Actually, normal map is too big to upload here, so I'm putting the files here:  http://www.sfbaystudios.com/elffiles.zip

Thank you for any help!

I'm only seeing your low poly model. Considering it's in your normal map, then it's most likely caused from your bake, and the seams are on the edges of your UV island.

What software package did you export the model from? Where did you bake the map in?

Unfortunately I'm not really sure.  I hired the work out a while back, and only discovered this issue recently.  The modeler has not been responding to my emails, and didn't send me a high poly mesh to work with. 

Is it possible to blend this with something to even out the edges?

Sadly the easiest way to fix this problem is to have the High Poly and correct the baking issues. I would highly suggest in future if you can to get the high poly always because you might need to rebake normals for various reasons and make corrections.

The only known method I know as of now is to manually fix the normals which you can do in Painter.

I'll try to break down the steps:

1. Load your model into Painter
2. Import your normal map - DO NOT APPLY IT TO THE MESH
3. Create a Fill Layer, and Under Normal, Drag your map in the slot

4. Create a new layer, and make sure you select Normal. Then change NMdt to Normal. Now you can make changes using a brush. Just keep nrm selected under your brush settings.

Now you can make your original:

Look like this:

(I did it on the one side as an example, as you can see in the back the seams for the left arm, not the right)

Edit: Just an FYI. I don't recommend ever manually editing normal maps for such issues, especially if you don't know what you're doing However, since it's an issue that cannot be solved as the high poly isn't available you have no other option. You also might be able to do a cleaner edit in Photoshop by editing each channel individually for the part with the seams. Keep in mind that normals have different color shades for a reason, and blotting a flat color down (normal channel) in painter isn't ideal.
Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:38:14 am

and didn't send me a high poly mesh to work with. 

You can upres your low poly and save that out as a high.

and didn't send me a high poly mesh to work with. 

You can upres your low poly and save that out as a high.

Assuming the OP wants to go in and sculpt all the detail and make a new high poly for baking...

Assuming the OP wants to go in and sculpt all the detail and make a new high poly for baking...

If the new hi-lo bake clears the seam, export the new normal map.  Bring it back into SP, drop it in a normal channel, black mask, white brush back on seam lines.

If the new hi-lo bake clears the seam, export the new normal map.  Bring it back into SP, drop it in a normal channel, black mask, white brush back on seam lines.

Care to elaborate on this? Baking the low as high won't fix anything. There are no normals with the low poly beyond the high poly bake, and if you generate a normal map from the low poly it will just be flat which means you still have to manually edit the normal map to remove the seam if you want to use the baked normal from the high poly.

The best way is to do it in Photoshop by channel to maintain the color shades so it's not flat and just edit the seam out of the high poly baked normal.

Unless I'm missing something here? There is no detailed mesh to bake from... Masking with a flat normal over the high poly baked normal does exactly what you'll get if you just add a fill layer, then another layer with just normal and paint over the seam line. Still much better to correct and blend by individual channels in Photoshop.

FYI, the OP doesn't have the High Poly model.
Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:35:27 pm

FYI, hence my suggestion.  You subdiv the low to get a new high.  No need to re-sculpt.  Just get a new normal to edit locally, i.e. the seam lines.

But whatever solution works, works.

Good luck!

FYI, hence my suggestion.  You subdiv the low to get a new high.  No need to re-sculpt.  Just get a new normal to edit locally, i.e. the seam lines.

But whatever solution works, works.

Good luck!

Oh okay. I wanted to understand what you were suggesting.  :)

I did this prior to test, and the issue still leaves the seams due to the UV edges and how it's cut, so there would have to be corrections made with the topology to do a clean bake.

I just found editing the normals manually faster.