Author Topic: X-TAON: Agape Paul Marundan (Lightning Masquerade) [WIP]  (Read 556 times)

Hello, my name is Agape Paul Marundan (just call me Paul) and welcome to my WIP space for my X-TAON Art Car contest submission. Even though I wrote this post today, I had been working on the project for a few days and now i believe it is at a stage where I can show the work.

I present to you: Apollo Lightning Masquerade (WIP)

[1280x720, 500 samples]

It is still work in progress. There are some things that needs work such as adding race car number, sponsor decals, license plates and tweaks to the colours.

The theme behind this is “lightning & thunder” and a bit of astronomy inspiration. Where blue represents the rain (and the outer space). Yellow and chrome represents the lightning and shooting stars that flashes the night sky. Lastly, black represents the dark rain clouds or a black hole in space that devours everything in its path.

The idea behind this design is to create an aggressive but yet elegant look where the shape and colours turn this cute car into a fierce racing competitor. The design style is Japanese but also European. The art must also be dynamic, that means the appearance of the car changes as it moves around its environment (i.e. like a lightning), see the comparison below:

[Studio Neutral]

[Bonifacio Street] (Note the changes in colour tone, metallic and glossiness)

More breakdowns and explanation of my work will be published here and at my ArtStation page (coming soon), this is just a small sneak peek before completion.
Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:07:09 pm

Update: Added 'glow-in-the-dark' racing number stickers on the sides of the car, windshield sticker with an LED race position device and glowing disc brakes.

[500 samples]

Looks really cool! love the rippling effect look on the hood  ;D
Jason Adicendana Tjahyadi - 3D Artist | Student
https://www.artstation.com/jmusictouch

Looks really cool! love the rippling effect look on the hood  ;D

Thanks! It was inspired a bit from Sci-fi games, particularly from Mass-Effect and Halo.
It was originally supposed to be an eye like in the Nvidia logo, but a few tweaking made it look like WiFi signals or some sort of sci-fi force field so I developed it from there.

Update: Added sponsor decals all over the car, my name, flag and logo. I can't believe how the small details really helps with the overall look of the car, but I have to be careful of overdoing it or it will become too noisy and distracting. Originally all of the sponsors and logos have "glow-in-the-dark" emission but disabled them apart from the APOLLO logo. I think it looks better that way to give the APOLLO logo more presence.

I forgot to mention from the previous update that the driver-side window has an air vent now so that the driver can get some fresh air. Also added from the previous update is a charging port next to the side window (assuming this car is electric).

[500 samples]

Real nice! and the small details really made the difference, giving that visual appeal. good luck man!
Jason Adicendana Tjahyadi - 3D Artist | Student
https://www.artstation.com/jmusictouch

Update: More sponsor decals and license plate experiment