Author Topic: Position Map Normalization Scale broken?  (Read 850 times)

Both normalization scale settings return the same map/values for me, so it seems that option doesn't do anything at all?

Shouldn't "Per Material" adjust the map so that each material/mesh has the full range from 0 to 1? Here's what I am baking right now, each of those meshes has its own material, but the results are always the same as full scene. I've leveled the map to 0.5 so you can see it definitely does not normalize per mesh/material, but only the the stave has the correct values due to being the biggest mesh and defining the full scene boundaries?

Just curious why this has been moved from Designer to Painter Technical support, as I've been baking in Designer?

Just curious why this has been moved from Designer to Painter Technical support, as I've been baking in Designer?
Indeed. Probably an admin error. Sorry about that, moving it back.

What is the normalization option set to ?

Could you send us the mesh?
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

I just made the most simple scene to illustrate it better & make sending easier. This is for Position, but the same happens for me for Position Map from Mesh.

It's an .fbx file with two meshes. A short cylinder and a long cube. Each have their own material assigned.

As long as I have both materials enabled, I get the same results regardless of setting chosen for "Normalization Scale".

Full Scene:

Per Material:

Only if I uncheck the material of the long cube, does the option start to give different results and normalizes the cylinder to either its own dimensions or the full scene dimensions. Which pretty much defeats the point of the option to begin with, if I have to bake each mesh on its own and then combine the maps to get normalization for each mesh/material boundaries.

Full Scene:

Per Material:

Thank you for any help or information you can give me about this.

I have same problem. My solution was to add a cube, whitch covered all the meshes (I was baking character body and head separatly, so my cube was 2x2x2 m and was placed slightly below feets). I added it to both my lowpoly meshes and made very small UV's for it (something like 1x1 px) and placed it in the corner of UV sheet. It forced Designer to keep position consistant across meshes, because cube was the biggest object. Maybe it was not the most ellegant solution but it worked.

Thanks a lot for that tip Vincent! Sadly it won't work for me since I need the normalization to be made for the smaller items to their volumes, not the biggest one. Good one to keep in mind for such a case though.

We'll take a look and keep you informed.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic