Author Topic: How to create flood-fill equivalent for overlapping tiles?  (Read 585 times)

(Obviously I had meant to post this to Designer, not Painter :()

I'm trying to create a color mask that I can use to drive a Vector Warp node so that I can offset surface detail across a set of wooden roof tiles. Unfortunately, the usual Flood Fill to Color approach doesn't work terribly well, as there isn't a gap between these tiles. The Flood Fill pattern I have doesn't quite line up with the actual tiles, and the black border is noticeable when I apply the vector warp.

Is there any way I could go about creating a color mask that exactly matches my overlapping tiles?

Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:06:18 pm

use a distance node after you generated your color mask with the edge detect as first input and your color as second. this will dilate the color outwards from the white areas. might have to use a levels on the edge detect to make non-white pixels black.

I would do it in the tile sampler itself:

The only funky part is that the Tile Sampler Colour and the Tile Sampler Greyscale behave slightly differently when handling the alpha blending of the top and bottom rows of tiles. 

Generating the colour sampler with 2 x the resolution and 2 x the tile count, and then scaling it by 200% solved this problem.  There may be a more elegant way of doing this - it's a bit 'brute force', but it is a pixel perfect match.

Hi guys,

I have the same problem.
The tip with the Distance Node helps a bit. Thank you divi.cig.

But the edge is not quite clean.

One solution would be the Tile Sampler Color. Unfortunately there is a bug there.  :(
The first and last row is wrong.

If you use the Tile Generator Color, you get another pattern. The order of overlap is different.
Can I configure that somewhere?