Author Topic: Hotkeys  (Read 4056 times)

Maybe it's just me, but the customization of hotkeys seems incredibly limited within Substance. I find myself wanting to hotkey things like swapping between UV alignment and Tangent/Wrap alignment, turning on and off Mesh Wireframe and many other shortcuts.

While I appreciate the implementation of using the mouse shortcuts; a lot of the time I find myself rotating or moving in the wrong direction to change the hardness, size or orientation of my brush. I wish some of these could be relegated to keyboard shortcuts as well.

Having a robust shortcut menu broken up into sections for each menu would really help me customize and increase my production speed.

I second the wireframe hotkey!

true that!

the missing wireframe shortcut was frustrating at times.. (where's that checkbox?)

on the other hand pressing "4" (although quite indirect) did prove helpful.

four other suggestions for the potential hotkey wishlist:
-scroll inside ui window without having to click scrollbar or mousewheel (ideally by having pressed spacebar to pan up and  down, or alternatively middle mouseclick)
-quickly set numeric value to zero (by right or middle mouse click on the number in the UI, as per default in 3dsMax)
-quickly set color value to 100% white with a key
-quickly set color value to 100% black with a key (both useful during drawing a mask when you have set a grey color but want to paint total opacity or total transparency fast - without going into properties)

Hotkeys that I find useful - although I've already managed to create them using a Logitech gaming keyboard, are navigation keys.  Logitech lets me map mouse click to keys.

I have 3 keys for pan, zoom, rotate, that work without needing to click the mouse.  i.e. just press the key and move the mouse.  I find this far easier than remembering control key/mouse button combinations, especially when I also need the mouse to paint.

Finding that this didn't work well with a tablet or when snap-rotating, I remapped all the navigation keys to use the left mouse button and created a duplicate set of pan, zoom, rotate keys that do everything except the actual click, which I provide using the tablet pen.

I don't think you can actually do all this in Painter without the gaming keyboard software.

four other suggestions for the potential hotkey wishlist:
-scroll inside ui window without having to click scrollbar or mousewheel (ideally by having pressed spacebar to pan up and  down, or alternatively middle mouseclick)
-quickly set numeric value to zero (by right or middle mouse click on the number in the UI, as per default in 3dsMax)
-quickly set color value to 100% white with a key
-quickly set color value to 100% black with a key (both useful during drawing a mask when you have set a grey color but want to paint total opacity or total transparency fast - without going into properties)

X should switch between black and white while painting mask, but sometimes it buggs out and you have to restart the program.