Author Topic: [SOLVED] Substance Design 3D view-port opacity  (Read 8875 times)

How am I able to see an opacity map within the 3D view-port in Substance Designer?  I have some eyelashes that I'd like to render correctly.

Thanks.
Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:19:07 pm

How am I able to see an opacity map within the 3D view-port in Substance Designer?  I have some eyelashes that I'd like to render correctly.

Thanks.

Hi Adam,

You need to use a shader that supports opacity such as relief. If you graph has an opacity output and you use a shader that supports the opacity it will work. Unfortunately, the PBR shaders don't work with opacity at this time.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks, I'll use relief in the meantime.

Any update on SD PBR shaders working with opacity? Substance Painter has alpha blending.

Hey guys, I'm sure the dev team has good reasons not to have opacity in the default PBR shader in designer (although I would assume painter and designer run on the same engine), but I also missed the ability to work with opacity using the regular PBR shader.
Fortunatly, designer allows for custom shaders, so here is a slightly modified version of the default shader. It assumes alpha comes from the Base Color channel, so use a channel shuffle node to mix in your opacity map with your base color. (That is the only change I made, otherwise the shader is identical)
Be aware that not feeding in any opacity map/color will have the texture lookup return 0, which means full transparency.

The shader and it's subfolder themselves should be placed in
...Substance Designer\5\resources\view3d\shaders\
After this (re)start designer, and the shader should show up in the list under Materials>Default>Shaders

Cheers,
T.

Hi. I want to use your sader. But he's not working ( sad..

Well, I'm sure we could get it to work, but the newest substance designer has opacity enabled in the default shader anyway, so this one is kinda absolete... I recommend to upgrade ;)

newest substance designer has opacity enabled in the default shader anyway

Is this true? metal/rough PBR shader now supports transparency so it displays in 3D View?

I took TIFF with alpha channel and fed it directly into BaseColor output but i dont see transparency in 3D View, also tried RGB-A MERGE to no avail, how do i go about feeding the alpha properly, so that it displays in 3D View?

Hey PR,

You need to add an Output node and set its usage to 'Opacity'.
You may need to right-click it and compute the output for the 3D view manually once, though.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thank you, that worked (partially)

In 3D View OpenGL renderer there is this weird bug as you can see from the attached image (image1) - the transparency of the eyelashes to the right (marked with red circle) cuts a hole to the underlying mesh (weird) and reveals the Skybox in the background. The transparency of the other eyelashes (marked with green circle) works fine. The UVs are fine, their normals are fine, the mask is fine.

This bug doesnt happen with the IRay raytrace renderer (image2).
Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:57:30 am

In 3D View OpenGL renderer there is this weird bug as you can see from the attached image (image1)

I suspect one of the eyelashes has flipped normals.

Anyway the way the opacity works in its current stage is very simple and can produce this kind of "artefact".
We still have some work to do to offer proper transparency (with face sorting).
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

If this is a transparency sorting issue (which it looks like to me), be sure to check that the face is using a version of the shader that doesn't have opacity in it (if that's even available in SD currently, I'm not sure right now, would have to check). And by that I don't mean 'not having an opacity map', but I mean that you should use a shader that doesn't support transparency at all.

Also; are the face and eyelashes merged into 1 mesh? Splitting them and parenting them under the same root before export might help (but that's just a wild guess, it's something I've done in the past to get stuff to get sorting to behave properly in Unity for example)
Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:38:46 am