Author Topic: FX Maps  (Read 1656 times)

Hi guys,

As there's no branch or vein type noise pattern I was thinking of trying to make my own. But there's not really much documentation about how to use the FX Maps.

Conceptually what I was going to do to start with was subdivide the quadrants a few times and plot some discs with random offsets. All good so far. Then I was wanting to offset those discs in a random direction and draw them repeatedly changing the offset direction each time. That should give me some wiggly lines. Ultimately I'd want to branch these, but I haven't got to that stage yet.

I can't work out how to achieve this loop. There's an iterate node, but I can't work out how to use it at the same level without needing to subdivide and go down another level. I can make a bunch of discs all randomly offset from the same quadrant, but not randomly offset from the last disc. So I can make clusters, but now worms.

The only example I've seen is only doing random blobs at different scales, which is fine. A good start, but doesn't go very far into explaining how to do loops. The docs really don't explain much at all and trying to look at the existing fx maps doesn't reveal much about how they work.

A tutorial explaining how to do something more complex than random blobs would be greatly appreciated. Or some more extensive documentation.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

As there's no branch or vein type noise pattern I was thinking of trying to make my own. But there's not really much documentation about how to use the FX Maps.

Conceptually what I was going to do to start with was subdivide the quadrants a few times and plot some discs with random offsets. All good so far. Then I was wanting to offset those discs in a random direction and draw them repeatedly changing the offset direction each time. That should give me some wiggly lines. Ultimately I'd want to branch these, but I haven't got to that stage yet.

I can't work out how to achieve this loop. There's an iterate node, but I can't work out how to use it at the same level without needing to subdivide and go down another level. I can make a bunch of discs all randomly offset from the same quadrant, but not randomly offset from the last disc. So I can make clusters, but now worms.

The only example I've seen is only doing random blobs at different scales, which is fine. A good start, but doesn't go very far into explaining how to do loops. The docs really don't explain much at all and trying to look at the existing fx maps doesn't reveal much about how they work.

A tutorial explaining how to do something more complex than random blobs would be greatly appreciated. Or some more extensive documentation.

Thanks.

Hi Robin,

I'm looking at creating a new tutorial on FX-Maps. They are very powerful, but also very confusing : ) In the tutorial, I will cover how to create a specific real-world effect and cover how to use the nodes beyond a basic workflow.

For the offsets in random directions, are you using a function? For each iteration, there is an ID and you can target that ID as a variable using getVariable. The internal variable is $number. In order to offset from the last quadrant, you need to use a function that will randomly offset for each iteration.

Tutorial is on the way : )

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Tutorial is on the way : )

Great new  :)

That sounds very useful. Thanks Wes.

Here's a quick screen shot of an fx-map for making scratches. I was thinking of showing how this was created in a tutorial. It will cover quadrant, switch and iterate nodes as well as dynamic functions.

Cheers,

Wes

Here's another image of the final mask created with fxmaps.

Yeah that sounds great. Thanks Wes. Looking forward to seeing it.