Author Topic: Painter Curvature Map faceting  (Read 2840 times)

**Wrong forum. Can someone move this to Painter please?**

Hi everyone,

This is an issue that I've only just started having. I'm getting the base level topology showing through in my curvature maps. My workflow is for pre-rendered vfx so there are no low and high poly meshes.

I'm taking my base level mesh, subdividing 3 iterations and adding a displace modifier in the 3ds max viewport. This mesh is then brought into Substance Painter and I hit bake textures. I've tried resetting the mesh normals, changing the UVs, exporting the mesh directly from ZB and nothing seems to fit it. Any ideas?

Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:12:59 pm

Usually the issue comes from the normal map generated in the first place. The curvature map only exacerbate the problem.

I would suggest checking that you don't have any UV seams that you may have missed in those areas (UV seams without proper padding result in seams in the textures). Also make sure that the high-poly mesh is smoothed properly with has vertex normals (so no direct export from zBrush, since it doesn't generated them).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.