Author Topic: working as a freelancer using an indie license  (Read 1912 times)

Hi all,

I'm currently working in house as a freelancer in an established games studio. I own an indie license of Substance Painter and would love to be able to use it. Can I use it in this situation or do I have to request the studio buy a pro license? I'm having to use Quixel at the moment which is so awkward to use :(

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong location.

Many thanks
Richard

Hey, on a legal point of view, you are allowed to use the indie license, as long as you don't make more than $100000/year on your own.
But this is a specific case (because the studio you are working with may make more than that) so I'm going to double check

so indeed in this case, the studio has to provide you a pro license, as the project you are working on belongs to them.

Thanks for the swift reply. Looks as though I'll have to stick with Quixel, unless I can persuade them to purchase a pro license  :(

so indeed in this case, the studio has to provide you a pro license, as the project you are working on belongs to them.

What is the case for freelance model selling? As in just making models personally and selling them openly on Unity/UE4/Gumroad/etc? Surely an indie license is enough because you can't possibly (Literally, it's anonymous sales) keep track of every buyer and what project, if any, they are using it for.
Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:04:27 am

and indie license can be used if you or the project you are working on makes less than $100000/year