Author Topic: Paint won't stick...  (Read 6868 times)

Painting on the default layer, in the default sample scene, any brush, any paint material -

If I paint a stroke, only the click/drag point shows the paint. As I drag, no paint is left in the view. When I release the mouse button, a spot of paint appears where I last clicked.

If I then start a new stroke, the last spot disappears, and the behavior reports.

If I switch brushes, the last spot from the last brush accumulates.

Substance Painter, version 0.7.1
Build 370

System info -

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro5,2
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.8 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   6 MB
  Memory:   8 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.07 GHz

Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   512 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x0647
  Revision ID:   0x00a1
  ROM Revision:   3436
  gMux Version:   1.7.10
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type:   LCD
  Resolution:   1920 x 1200
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes

Also, the previous paint does not disappear if I change the brush size even slightly. Although, I can still only click to leave a spot of paint, I cannot make a stroke.

Also, the previous paint does not disappear if I change the brush size even slightly. Although, I can still only click to leave a spot of paint, I cannot make a stroke.

Hello,

I haven't seen this issue. By chance is the particle brush enabled? It is enabled at the start of a new scene. I am using the same computer specs so I don't think it's your system.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I just tried again with 0.8.0, build 378. Same result.

I'm wondering if I need to be in a particular mode that I am not in to paint?

I'm loading the cyborg scene. I go to Presets, Brushes, and double click something like fibers 2. Then I try to paint, and I can't stroke. The undo history shows the strokes, but they don't commit to the maps.

The paint brush icon is highlighted in the tool bar. Is there some other setting or mode that must be selected? I've poked through Tool and Layers, but don't spot anything.

Could you make a quick video showing it? That would be the best for us to try to reproduce the problem.
Head of Product Management

Okay, I've attached a movie made with the latest build, where the problem persists.

Hopefully that provides some clue...

Okay, I've attached a movie made with the latest build, where the problem persists.

Hopefully that provides some clue...

Hmm, that is truly bizarre. Here is a video showing the workflow on my system, which I think is similar to yours.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Update: I obtained a new hard drive, installed Mavericks on it, booted to it, made a new user, installed zero other software except SP, and retested Beta 9. Still not working. So it's not a conflict with anything else on the machine.

Update: I obtained a new hard drive, installed Mavericks on it, booted to it, made a new user, installed zero other software except SP, and retested Beta 9. Still not working. So it's not a conflict with anything else on the machine.

Hi,

I will have the developers take a look at this thread and your video. I can't imagine what would be causing this issue. As you mentioned, I don't see how there could be conflict with something on your system especially with the new install. 

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:41:48 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm happy to try more things or run test programs if they have any thoughts. I am ready to start painting, any minute now ;)

In Beta 10, some of the particle effects now partially work. The particles only stick at their last location, and subsequent strokes with a particle brush do not erase prior strokes. Unfortunately, the brushes do not streak, they only leave dots where the particles disappeared.

The painting behavior is unchanged (still not working).

I am still having this same issue myself and have installed on 26 MAC Pros with the same result

Screen Grab of brush issue

Hi,

I'm Alex, one of the developers of Substance Painter.

Can you please send us the Substance Painter log file generated from a Beta 10 version on an OSX Maverick?

The log file is located here: ~/Library/Application Support/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/log.txt

Thx!
Senior Software Engineer
Substance Painter Team
@achassany

Is there another path the log could be in I don't show this on my hard rive