Author Topic: Constant Unity Crashes  (Read 2728 times)

Hey guys, I appreciate any and all help I can get on here.  I am getting pretty frustrated  :-\  So I am working with my substance in Unity and I am texturing a lot of different models so I am duplicating my substance a lot.  Whenever I get up to like 15+ copies of my substance Unity crashes if I try to duplicate any more, its like its reach its limit.  Once its reached this limit it just crashes every single time.  Is there any way to alleviate this in engine strain?  It has made it impossible to continue making progress.

You should duplicate the asset (the substance file itself). Creating a lot of copies of a substance in a single Substance asset seems to suffer from memory limits.

You should duplicate the asset (the substance file itself). Creating a lot of copies of a substance in a single Substance asset seems to suffer from memory limits.

Sorry maybe my wording was funky, that's actually what I am doing.  I am selecting the entire substance and doing ctrl+D in my project to duplicate it and renaming it.

Sorry maybe my wording was funky, that's actually what I am doing.  I am selecting the entire substance and doing ctrl+D in my project to duplicate it and renaming it.

Hello,

This appears to be a bug. I've reported it to the developers. It looks like the plugin is packing the substances together and with a big sbsar file the linker is not handling it correctly.

It looks like this is related to the substance file itself as the bigger the file the more the duplication will cause a memory exhaustion.

If you are using embedded bitmaps in the substance, you can replace them with bitmap inputs. You can then supply the needed bitmaps in Unity. The sbsar will be much smaller and the linker will be able to handle more copies.

It's only at runtime where the bitmap info will be used so the engine can generate the textures.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello,

This appears to be a bug. I've reported it to the developers. It looks like the plugin is packing the substances together and with a big sbsar file the linker is not handling it correctly.

It looks like this is related to the substance file itself as the bigger the file the more the duplication will cause a memory exhaustion.

If you are using embedded bitmaps in the substance, you can replace them with bitmap inputs. You can then supply the needed bitmaps in Unity. The sbsar will be much smaller and the linker will be able to handle more copies.

It's only at runtime where the bitmap info will be used so the engine can generate the textures.

Cheers,

Wes

Alright thanks, awesome!  I will try that out.  It is indeed a pretty complex substance and it has some embedded bitmaps for sure, 3-4, so I will give that a try.  It would be nice if at some point those could be embedded since I will end up with close to 100 versions of this substance, having to connect the same bitmaps seems inefficient.  Either way, a fix for the time being is exactly what I am looking for, thanks again!   :)

So I can report an improvement in performance but I am still getting crashes, especially when set to 2048 but it crashes some times also when at lower resolutions  :-\