Author Topic: Quick Question: Tile Generator Gap with Entry_Image?  (Read 11132 times)

Hopefully a quick question; does anyone know why I'm getting an extremely small gap between my tile generated entry_images? To give an idea of what I'm talking about, I basically have a black shape with a white rim; when I use a 2D Transform node and press /2, it produces a seamless image no matter how many times I tile it. When I use the tile generator to do this, however, a small seam appears in between the rims after the 4th tiling.

I personally don't care if I have to use a 2D transform node or not, but I'd like to be able to add an easy to use Integer input-parameter that can control the number of tiles for other people who might use my substances, rather than making them access a transform matrix ;) Thanks!

P.S. Just in case you see this, Wes, I was wondering if I'm allowed to access the 30 pbr materials even though I purchased all of the indie pack items separately (I was hesitant about Substance Painter at first); not a big deal either way, but still curious ;)
Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:33:08 am

Hopefully a quick question; does anyone know why I'm getting an extremely small gap between my tile generated entry_images? To give an idea of what I'm talking about, I basically have a black shape with a white rim; when I use a 2D Transform node and press /2, it produces a seamless image no matter how many times I tile it. When I use the tile generator to do this, however, a small seam appears in between the rims after the 4th tiling.

I personally don't care if I have to use a 2D transform node or not, but I'd like to be able to add an easy to use Integer input-parameter that can control the number of tiles for other people who might use my substances, rather than making them access a transform matrix ;) Thanks!

P.S. Just in case you see this, Wes, I was wondering if I'm allowed to access the 30 pbr materials even though I purchased all of the indie pack items separately (I was hesitant about Substance Painter at first); not a big deal either way, but still curious ;)

Hi James,

Can you send me your graph and I'll take a look. Also, in the email, include your allegorithmic account email and I can get you the 30 PBR substances  ;)

wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Sorry to bother you, but did you ever find out why the tile generator does (see above)? Even when I plug a 'shape' node into a tile generator set to 'entry_image' without touching the presets for either node, the lines still appear.

Pay dirt! I did find a workaround for this issue that involved setting the 'scale' parameter in the tile generator to 2, and then plugging in an equation (image below) within the 'Global Offset' parameter. The image probably doesn't have the fidelity to show what's what, so I've included an .sbs file as well in case anyone's interested.

Whether this whole issue was a hiccup in the software (I'm not complaining, I love SD!) or not, it did make me get creative and in the end forced me to go deeper into parametric customization than I ever thought I'd go! For anyone else who has this problem (if it even is a problem and not my computer being weird), I'm fairly certain that my workaround will make matters right and rid your entry_image driven tile generators of those pesky lines :)
Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:47:11 am

I noticed the same issue today while using tile generator. As James pointed out the seam is very very small, but perceptible when zoomed in close. Wes/team - any idea why this happens?

James - thanks for your example SBS, I'll have to study it to understand your workaround, the math function you've plugged in to global offset looks complex at first glance! On the bright side this might finally get me started on functions.

I just tested the tile generator with version 4.5.1 and it unfortunately still has the issue with the thin black seam. Will this be fixed in a future update?

Hi,

The problems comes from the substance engine and how image inputs are managed within the FxMap node, it's not specific to the tile generator, it's just obvious in this fxmap.
The problem is visible when the size of the pattern is not a factor of 2 (typically if you draw 3 patterns in a 1024² image, each pattern size is 1024/3 = 341.3333 pixels).

James' workaround seems to work, but it actually gives a different result than what it should be: the patterns shape is different because they are twice bigger.

Here is my suggestion until we fix this problem directly in the engine (which requires quite some work): if your input image has white borders: invert the image, plug the inverted image into the tile generator, invert again.

Nicolas

Product Manager - Allegorithmic

I have just started using Substance Designer today after taking advantage of the pre order 5, get 4 now deal (great deal btw)

I notice that this seams problem is still there in the current version, I wonder if you guys can let us know if it is fixed in SD 5 or if we still need to find work arounds for it?

Update
Ah it seems the problem has been fixed? If I use Filters>Transforms>Safe Transform I can tile anything without there being any seams! :)
Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:17:25 pm

I'm using 4.6.0 and the problem is here still, inverted method isn't working for me :(

Nicolas Wirrmann,
can you please look into the thread here https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=4009.new#new , I have the same problem, but inverting node isn't helping me. Thank you.

Hey Cyberdrizzt,
Thanks for the suggestion of using the Safe Transform. The thin line has been driving me crazy, but with Safe Transform, it's not there. Most of the time this will work for me, though there is some additional functionality in the tile generator that I use, and would be great if it didn't introduce extra seams.