Author Topic: importing mesh with existing textures  (Read 7875 times)

first post, so sorry if its already been asked or covered, but how do i bring a partially or fully textured mesh into painter as fbx and still have the initial texture, in other words want to be able to take an existing mesh with painted textures into painter and really refine over what i started with and add additional texture details, thanks in advance for any help.

first post, so sorry if its already been asked or covered, but how do i bring a partially or fully textured mesh into painter as fbx and still have the initial texture, in other words want to be able to take an existing mesh with painted textures into painter and really refine over what i started with and add additional texture details, thanks in advance for any help.

Hello and welcome to the forums  :)

You can import your current texture into Substance Designer. From the Substance Package, just choose import bitmap. From there, you drag the bitmap into the graph and begin the process of augmenting the texture with various nodes. You can add to the texture with procedural effects or add a bitmap painting node and paint a new map that can be blended with the original.

When you import your texture, if you choose "Embed" you can then paint directly on the texture itself. Just double click the texture and in the 2D view, you will see the paint tools.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey wes, thanks, unfortunately i put this in the wrong section, was meant for painter, figured it out last night on the old version, then upgraded and now cannot for the life of me figure it out? Really appreciate any help as I'm actually starting on a paid project

Hey wes, thanks, unfortunately i put this in the wrong section, was meant for painter, figured it out last night on the old version, then upgraded and now cannot for the life of me figure it out? Really appreciate any help as I'm actually starting on a paid project

Oh, no problem. I moved the topic back to Substance Painter.

Unfortunately, the latest build has removed the layers properties window. The functionality is being improved and will return in the next beta update. There isn't a method for adding textures in the latest build. This will be done by using the Fill Layer in the Layer Stack.

I will check when the next build will be released. I think it is very soon.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

hopefully real soon, kinda breaks any sort of meaningful workflow, hate to try to guess where my base texture is