Author Topic: Hide seams  (Read 19375 times)

Hi "ProAssets",

very funny, because I was heading into the same problem yesterday when working with 6 rocks and on some parts I got very harsh seams. I created also a simple network to automatically "hide" the pixels next to the UV seams and blend into a uniform color which works fine, but I think my solution is much easier and efficient then yours (I am sorry if I overlooked something in your video):

Bake a map of your UV shells -> make a black-and-white-only map out of it -> use a bevel or direction node to shrink the shells -> additionally use a slope blur node to get some distortions into the soft edges -> use this as a mask for all the other textures in your network causing seam troubles. On the image beneath I swapped the background color to magenta to show how the mask looks like.

In my case most of UV seam troubles are caused by the tri planar node. Yesterday I investigated my scene for 5 hours just because of bad seams. First the bakers do not produce very clean maps, maybe thats why the tri planar node fails on some parts.

I baked some normal and position maps in Maya by reimporting the FBX meshes, and there the maps are 100% seamless. In Substance Designer the maps have sometimes, even with high settings, visible seam artefacts. When used for blending, especially for generators / edge filters, you get into serious trouble at your UV seams!

Because on 3/4 of the seams I do not encounter any problems (in Substance Designer) I will have a further look at my meshes and do not want to blame Allegorithmic here in a fast shot ;) Hopefully I can get rid of it without "faking" seamless textures.
Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:48:17 am
Vertex slashing since 1994 | 3D Modelling | Environmental & Level Design | Scripting | UI Design | Game Development | www.behance.net/MarioCada