Author Topic: All my maps are black  (Read 2440 times)

Hi
Can anyone help me, everytime I try to create a AO map or curviture or any map from the bake option it produces a totally black map.

It works on my old projects but not this one..

Any ideas what could be the problem.
Thank you
Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:55:41 pm

It usually means there is an issue with your meshes. Make sure the scale and position are the same between the low and high poly meshes.

I'm only using one mesh for this project, I'm sure it must be the mesh at fault but no other program's report a issue with it, Zbrush, 3dcoat, 3dmax, none come back with a mesh error.

I've managed a work around baking AO and curv maps in other program's but they are not as good as the ones I can pull out of designer.

Thanks for the feed back

Just a thought, are all your UVs between 0-1 UV space?

It'll only bake using UVs within that range.

Ha ! now I have only just got my head around Uvs, what do you mean exactly ? this may well be the problem.

Ha ! now I have only just got my head around Uvs, what do you mean exactly ? this may well be the problem.

As dayveeman mentioned, you want to make sure your UVs are in the 0-1 space. In the attached image, you can see that the face UVs are contained in the square that makes up the UV 0-1 space. UVs can be placed outside of this square area, but they will then begin to tile the texture.

However, I don't think that would cause the image to be black. It could be the mesh scale as Jeremie mentioned. Also, you can check that your mesh normals are not flipped. If you can't get it to work, can you post the model and I'll take a look? You can send it to me via email if you don't want to post it on forums.

wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja