Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - alexk604

Pages: [1]
1
Quote
Quote
It's almost as if it's trying to stretch a bitmap image poorly, instead of say a vector shape.

I don't get what you mean.
I was just trying to describe what I was seeing.. it might not have been the best description to use. Those changes to how the tile generators work would be a great addition, thanks for taking the time to check out my post

2
Hey alexk,

are you using 'Brick' as your shape? You can alter the 'shape specific' parameter to get rid of the 'blur' if you use bricks.
I'm not sure how you created those blurred edges so it can be hard to tell how to fix it. By default the tile generators have no blurred edges entirely.


Best Regards

I've investigated this further and it is true that if I set the shape as Brick or Square within Tile Random, it will fix the blurred ends. However, this greatly limits the Pattern Input node, which is what I use primarily.

Even plugging in a Shape Node with Square into the input of a Tile Random will produce this blurred effect. And typically I would just use a levels to fix this.

However, the problem is that when I start using shapes that are not just simple black and white. For example, if I blend a gradient linear with a Shape Node Square, and then plugging that into the shape input. I will get this blurred ends which is not fixable with a levels because I want to keep the gradient in my shape input. And again, if I use random colors, I will lose all that when I use levels to fix these blurred ends.

Example 1: This is an example of a situation where I cannot easily fix blurred ends with a levels node if I want to keep my color variation.


There is an inherit problem with how Substance Designer handles the transformation of shapes.

Example 2: Using a Tile Generator with a square and with the same interstice settings, we can see that the shape is not being changed equally. You can see that vertical interstice is not the same as the horizontal. It's almost as if it's trying to stretch a bitmap image poorly, instead of say a vector shape.



Example 3: Again, usng a Tile Generator and with a brick shape, we have the same problem where the interstices are not equal despite the interstices settings being the same.



Example 4: With the same Tile Generator but this time, I'm plugging in a Shape Node with Square selected, we still have the same problem




I'm not the only one who knows this problem as even this youtube tutorial needs to fix this. https://youtu.be/GbGPWj6CkFk?t=104

I've also attached my SBS file with these examples

3
I'm pretty sure that you guys are aware of this. I'm posting this as a request to fix this in a near future version because it is incredibly annoying!

Yes, I can use a levels to fix it, but not in the case where I am using a Tile Random node with random color values like in my screenshot. Using a levels to fix it, in this case, just makes it black and white, which I don't want. I want the color variance.


4
So.. I got it to work! And also I'm an idiot   :P

I thought that the materials in OpenGL will transfer over to Iray, but that's not the case. So when I switched to Iray, it has it's own Material settings and the Height Scale defaults to zero. I increased it and now it's displacing properly.

Sorry! :)

5
yes I did.. I made a graph to test the Iray.. very simple setup. Used a brick generator node (the one that looks like it has a bevel on it) for my height map. It displaces in OpenGL but not in Iray.. maybe I can attach the sbs file too

6
I followed the guide on displacement with Iray at https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD5/Iray but I still can't get Iray to displace. I've tried this one two different computers and still can't get it to work.

My material settings in openGL are:

physically_metallic_roughness --> tesselation
Tesselation Factor: 4
Scale: 0.3 (Also tried using larger values with no effect in Iray)

Tried using a Plane hi-res, rounded cube, cylinder and sphere with no results.

My Iray scene setup:

Subdivision Method: Length
Values: 0.1 (also tried larger values with no effect)

Not sure if this matters but my current Iray rendering settings are:

Min Samples: 1
Max Samples: 50
Max Time: 20

Pages: [1]