Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Galen Helfter

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
151
Substance Integrations - Autodesk 3ds Max - Re: 3ds max crash
 on: February 01, 2019, 03:11:40 pm 
There might be issues if there's non-Latin characters, such as Cyrillic, etc. in the filepath. We have a bug in for this, and we'll try to get it fixed for the next release.

152
Hi @a.chypre,

There will not be a version 1.4.0 for 2018. 1.4.0 will only have been released with the Maya 2019 release. We're working on finalizing 1.4.1 though, which will have a release for Maya 2018. 1.4.1 will be the version released on our website for the 1.4 versions.

1.4.1 will have a couple bug fixes from 1.4.0, and also the installers will be able to migrate 1.3.0 and before on Maya 2018 to the new install directory.

It should be out in the next week or two, once we finalize packages and testing.

When 2.0 is out, it should be available for 2018. We're currently planning on releasing 2.0 for 2018 and 2019.

153
Hi,

Since the COP version will require a significant rewrite of the plugin, it will take a bit to complete. I don't have an estimated time, as it's currently in development.

154
I think I've seen it before, but I don't know what is causing it.

We've switched to a new installer system for Windows with 1.4.0 that was released with Maya 2019. This will be in 1.4.1, which we should be able to get out for 2018 soon after we've finished testing.

155
That was it, I managed to reproduce it by making a folder with Cyrillic letters in it.

A workaround might be to keep a folder for the sbsars high up in your folder structure, such as C:\Substances.

I've added a ticket for it, and we should have it fixed for the next release. It'll take editing some of the code to fix the issue.

Thank you for the help in finding out what was wrong.

156
I've been able to figure out an estimate on where it crashed from the dump file, somewhere in the loading code.

Do you have any Cyrillic or other non-Latin characters in the filepaths of the Substances that do not work? It could be that there's a bug in how we're handling paths with that.

I'll keep looking at it and see if I can reproduce it now that I know where it crashed. It may be that it isn't fixed until a future release, but I'll see if I can find a workaround after I reproduce it.

157
Thank you, that should be very helpful. I'll see if I can find out where it crashed in our code and reproduce it, although it may take a bit to figure out where.

158
With a fresh install of Max and the 2.1.1 version from the website, I was able to load the sbsar.

What is the timestamp on the substance_linker.dll file in the Program Files/Autodesk/3ds Max 2018 folder?

The only thing I can think of on the top of my head is that the plugin may have failed to overwrite a linker or engine somewhere and it's somehow using an old one.

If you can reproduce it and get the crash log files from Max, that would be helpful as well.

I've also attached a test Substance file. Can you load that and change to each graph and see what happens? It succeeds on my machine but may fail on yours.


159
I'm reinstalling 3ds Max 2018 now, so I should be able to test it when it's done.

160
I'm messing with image inputs right now for the currently in-development Maya 2.0.0 release of the plugin.

It's still a WIP on this part, but I was able to have the new plugin sample any texture node (such as procedurals) and use those, so it should be a feature to look forward to at release in a few months time.

161
Sorry, not yet. I ran a demo of the in-development Maya 2.0 plugin yesterday that took longer than I thought it would.

I only have 3ds Max 2019 installed right now, so I'll install Max 2018 and the plugin and test in the next few hours.

162
So there is a technical reason, but it's not really a good one. I do think that is something that should be expected to work.

163
It's currently set up to take the file path from the file node and load it, which I think is an old setup for it. It doesn't sample the nodes. There's not an easy way to change it at this point.

For the 2.0.0 major release, I'm currently looking at ways to leverage the hardware renderer to acquire the texture information instead of loading it from the filepath, so that's definitely something we want to be able to do in the future.

164
That should be enough information. I'll do a clean install of 3ds Max 2018 and run the installer on our website when I get back into work on Monday, and test it with the sbsar from Share and see if I can reproduce the crash.

165
Hi Nedko,

The share link you posted only showed the query. If you could attach one of the sbsar files that doesn't work, I can attempt to reproduce it. If you have the version number of the substance2 plugin, that would be helpful as well.

My guess is that perhaps it's loading an old engine from the old plugin and it is failing to handle the newer files.

Since it might be a setup with your computer, I can try to have you test some of our test Substances Monday afternoon Eastern US time or Tuesday.

Best,
Galen Helfter

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15