Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - rraab

Pages: [1]
I am running into problems when exporting MDLs with exposed parameters that have specified group names in the "in Group" field.

I am have built an MDL material with a number of parameters exposed, adding all the detailed information for hard_range, display Name and In Group. And that is where I am running into problems:

When I export the MDL module, SD will always write out the "in_group"-annotation with two empty subgroups. This results in weird grouping when I reimport the exported material. The SD documentation is extremly scarce and does not give any hints on how this works (

To my understanding, there should not be any empty groups created, unless the user types in the "In Group" field entries separated by a "/" sign. However, the emty subgroups are always generated. I know that I can easily fix this manually in the exported MDL code, but this proves to be tedious as I am making iterations over the MDL material and the materials I am building are way more complex than the one in this example here.

When connecting a diffuse_transmission_bsdf to the frontside of an MDL material, the material turns black both on the front and on the backside.

Watch the bug being demonstrated here:

Substance DesignerSubstance Designer - Showcase - Pitted Steel Material
 on: July 06, 2018, 12:12:13 pm 
The best substance training is to work with photo reference material and I love browsing texture sites. So I found on this substance material (, that was just wiring up some textures apparently as these are available for separate download. I might be wrong though, maybe they just provide the textures there for those that don't use substance and the substance file itself is much more flexible. I did not spend money on inspecting the substance. I was just looking at the images and maps and I took my shot to created my material implementation from scratch with parameters for wearing out the metal, adding variable corrosion and color controls for the rust in the dents of the material as well as adding coloring as results of heat treatment.

The outcome can be seen here:

Since I spent the last days building grunge and noise maps I decided to put my experience to good use to create my first serious substance. So I decided to grab a reference image from ( and see how faithfully I would be able to replicate it. I have to say that I need to get used to some thing in substance designer, first the speed: Having done many effects and materials with Filter Forge I am not used to having imagery generated blazingly fast on the fly. This opens up new worlds of designing materials for me. But the speed comes with a certain prize. In order to get high quality normals, this is much trickier since there is no antialisaing in substance designer which I really miss. (Wink wink)
Anyhow, here is my first checkerboard floor material. I put a lot of emphasis on the specular and glossy maps. In fact, I worked for half a day to make wipe-grunge generators for floors. I am happy with the outcome. However, I haven't reached the photorealsim that I aimed for this time, but what the heck, it was my first serious try to auther a proper material in substance. You can't have it all.

I am working on an FX map that activates/deactivates certain octaves depending on the size of the map that I am generating. To do that, I need to access the FX-Map system variables.

However, upon my first test it appears that no matter in which octave of my FX tree I am, the variable "$depth" always appears to return 0 instead of the level that I am editing. So either this is a bug, or there is something that I understood wrong about the $depth variable.

I attached an image of my FX tree and the function I created for the quadrant nodes.

This was reproduced with Substance designer 2018.1.1

Pages: [1]