Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - nandor.kiraly

Pages: [1]
So... first of all, I am super late to this competition xD

Im off on holiday, so I don't have my setup with me, as a result, painting the car with mouse and keyboard was my only choice... So I looked at artists who have very clean straight line styles, and immediately Piet Mondrian comes to mind with his famous abstract paintings.

I got the original idea from running the "fracture" particle effect around the car. Sadly this generated a lot of "loose ends", so I decided that i'll go through manually, and draw in the lines

I then envisioned how the painting would shift if one would speed through said painting, and decided that the squares would shift, and become smaller towards the beginning of the car (Doppler effect ftw!)

Then I looked at adding a twist, something clashing with the abstract "clean" look of Mondrian's art. I wanted to create the feel that the car ran into a puddle, and the splashes depict an impressionist's artwork, like Monet.

Sadly the original experimentation with Monet did not read too well, even after trying various methods to make the puddles "pop"

So I went back to the painting canvas, and looked at artists whose work would 1, be more recognisable (even if parts of the painting is hidden/cropped/squished) and 2, their artwork is less clashing with the clean look of Mondrian. And then I came across Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night, and remembered that I actually lost to an amazing piece in the Meet Mat competition where the artist took Van Gogh's style and made their texturing in that fashion.

Sadly, as I don't have the tools (or talent) to paint something similar, I decided to import the Starry Night and see how it worked

This is currently where I am at. Still need to make the painting pop a bit, so will be playing around with that in the time I have left.
Oh also, I havent even touched the other parts of the car (only Body A and B) so there will be a lot more updates in the coming 2-3 days.

Hi Guys,

Just messing around with the steel smart material, and I can't get the Finished Brushed Linear Filter to rotate (no option to do so).

Bug Report (?)
Additionally, Just found that the filter has a spelling mistake -> Lenght instead of Length. Unless thats intentional (in which case if Urban dictionary is right, it raises more questions then answers xD)


Soo... This is a catch-up of the last couple of days progress (as I didn't actually have time to write up what I was doing) towards my entry for Ultima Forsan.

As a texturing exercise I was already looking into how I could model clock internals, and was already thinking of doing something steampunk-like when I found out about this contest.

I found images of clock internals online, and picked something less complex but with more variation in colour. I wanted to paint this onto my model, but the lines were not coming through cleanly.

I started with the modelling phase in Maya. I was determined to create an alpha texture to then use as a brush

Then finally completed model;

I then used the Zdepth renderer (first time ever) to create a height map

When trying to place the mask correctly onto the model I was not happy with the placing, so decided to scale the height map to the actual UVs

This was the output once I made an ID map as well.

I did not like the colours the ID map came out with, so instead, I decided to use the ID colour mask to create colours. Sadly the program did not like it too much

So I went ahead and started painting in the textures by hand. In a way I felt this was more true to the guidelines and rules as per the competition

At this stage I wasn't 100% with my colour scheme, but in my head I was creating masks which I could change later, so kept working on

After the head was complete, I started thinking about the body;

Whilst trying to figure out how the end result would look like, I started re-watching Firefly for the 1001th time, so that greatly influenced the outcome.

I found this awesome material on substance share named couch, which was on the model for over 80% of the process.

Next was fixing up the arms and adding small details to the coat, boots, etc... The details were all painted onto the model

At this point I was quite happy with the outcome. But I still felt that something was missing. After seeing some other entries where the talented artists used heightmaps to create creases in the textures I started experimenting as well, and finally ended up with the following result (sadly, I did not document the steps).

And eventually, the final result;

Once all texturing was done, I was thinking of a good quote to put on the pedestal. That is when I came across the Latin phrase "Ultima Forsan" which is a memento mori ("remember that you have to die") - a medieval Latin Christian theory and practice of reflection on morality. Public clocks would be adorned with motto such as "ultima forsan" which translates to "Perhaps the last" (hour). 

When I found this motto, the project grew a bit closer to my heart, as we lost a dear family member in the last years, who was a clock maker, so in a way its paying homage to the trade.

Well that was my turbulent week of no sleep and learning Substance painter! I'm pretty sure all SP2 users will have a collective heart attack on the amount of layers used (I love non destructive processes), but in the end it worked out.

And the final submission

Hi Res images and sketchfab model is on my artstation:

Pages: [1]