Author Topic: Modular Building Workflow  (Read 2573 times)

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a modular building workflow. Currently I do not know the best route to take to detail a set of modular meshes for the levels within UE4. I can see there are a few paths to take but can anyone recommend the best way forward:

1. Create the substances (e.g brick work) and add decals for mould, damp inside of UE4. I know it possible to create parameters inside the substance but it would be difficult to place these details at specific points of the meshes. For example having mould growth from one area of a roof or a drain decal.

2. Detail all the separate modular pieces within painter. I know this would be ideal but I worry that all pieces having separate files would be problematic if there were hundreds.

3. Vertex painting inside of UE4. I've not really looked into this but would this be a suitable option?

I've attached an image from Assassin's Creed which shows the details such as cracks, paint and vents.

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/9AiYQPW.jpg

Thanks for your help  ;)
Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:34:44 pm

The most optimized workflow is the your point 3.

Modular meshes with tilling texture are a good base. Then to break the repetition it's common to use vertex colors to blend additional details planned ahead in the shader (like moss/dust over the bricks). To finish, you can add decals on top to add very unique details.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks Froyok.

I will try and search for some tutorials. Would this workflow still use variations in the same substance file (such a blending moss/mold) or would I be looking at having separate substances for each e.g a separate brick, mold, damp substance?

Since you are tilling a texture, you can't use it at the same time as an other. You actually have to separate them and blend them in the shader instead.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.