Author Topic: FBX export to substance painter with multiple UV maps  (Read 16045 times)

Hi, Does anyone have a work around for getting a mesh out of MODO with multiple UV maps for Substance Painter?

Reading the forums it seems that there is a problem with MODO's fbx export. Substance Painter is reading the MODO materials and creating the correct texture sets but it only sees one UV map (I have 4 assigned in MODO with different names).

MODO 10 is pushing the new FBX export but I still can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Steve

Hi, Does anyone have a work around for getting a mesh out of MODO with multiple UV maps for Substance Painter?

Reading the forums it seems that there is a problem with MODO's fbx export. Substance Painter is reading the MODO materials and creating the correct texture sets but it only sees one UV map (I have 4 assigned in MODO with different names).

MODO 10 is pushing the new FBX export but I still can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Steve

HI Steve,

Painter can only read 1 UV set at this time per mesh. On your mesh do you have multiple UV sets? Painter is essentially looking at UV0 and if you have multiple UVs on the mesh, they won't be read. For now, you need to make sure that you have a material with a single UV set. You can have multiple mesh layers in the FBX, but each mesh can have a dedicated material assigned to the single UV set.

We will support UDIMs in the future and this will resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes, I have 4 original meshes each assigned a separate, single UV map and material. I have then merged them into one mesh (using merge meshes) to export as an fbx. Is this the wrong way of going about it?

Hi Wes, I have 4 original meshes each assigned a separate, single UV map and material. I have then merged them into one mesh (using merge meshes) to export as an fbx. Is this the wrong way of going about it?

Hey Steve,

You don't have to merge the meshes. I use the Export selected option for FBX and you can just select all of the meshes in Item mode. Can you post an screen shot of what is happening in Painter? I'm not sure I understand how you are not getting the UVs in Painter. The UVs associated with the material should be available in Painter.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks Wes, that solved it!

I had no idea you could could export multiple mesh items as a single FBX. I also realised that I had multiple UV maps assigned per mesh item so deleted the ones I didn't need.

All now loading correctly in Substance Painter, generating texture sets seeing all UV's from MODO.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks Wes, that solved it!

I had no idea you could could export multiple mesh items as a single FBX. I also realised that I had multiple UV maps assigned per mesh item so deleted the ones I didn't need.

All now loading correctly in Substance Painter, generating texture sets seeing all UV's from MODO.

Thanks again.

Steve

No problem Steve : ) I'm glad that helped.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com