Author Topic: Substance Painter export settings for MODO 10 PBR Shaders  (Read 8843 times)

Hi,

I am an illustrator working mostly in MODO and have been learning Substance Painter over the past few months for texturing and I love the results. I want to use either the Unity or Unreal shaders in MODO 10 to simulate what I see in Substance Painter and render the final images in MODO as high res 2D images.

I have no interest in passing the assets onto Unreal or Unity, I just want the PBR look and feel in MODO.

Which shader will give me the best match (to what I see in Substance Painter) and what maps should I be exporting from Substance Painter?

Also what shader settings should I use in MODO to get a good balance of reflective and non-reflective textures?

Steve

Hi,

I am an illustrator working mostly in MODO and have been learning Substance Painter over the past few months for texturing and I love the results. I want to use either the Unity or Unreal shaders in MODO 10 to simulate what I see in Substance Painter and render the final images in MODO as high res 2D images.

I have no interest in passing the assets onto Unreal or Unity, I just want the PBR look and feel in MODO.

Which shader will give me the best match (to what I see in Substance Painter) and what maps should I be exporting from Substance Painter?

Also what shader settings should I use in MODO to get a good balance of reflective and non-reflective textures?

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you are using MODO 10 then you can use the unreal or unity shader. I would suggest the unreal shader and in Painter you can use the metal rough shader that is enabled by default. When you export your maps from Painter, you can use the Unreal preset. These maps can be used directly in MODO's unreal material and you just set the layer effect to match the map name i.e. metallic (map) and metallic (layer effect). This works very well with MODO's new shaders. I have been using them and I think they work great.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank's Wes, I'll give that a try and report back.

Your tutorial videos have got me up and running in Substance painter. Everything is really well explained so thanks for that.

Regards

Steve

Thank's Wes, I'll give that a try and report back.

Your tutorial videos have got me up and running in Substance painter. Everything is really well explained so thanks for that.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you liked the videos :) Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

A couple of further questions. I have uploaded a screen shot of what I see in painter and what I'm getting in MODO.

I’m losing a lot of detail and the highlights are getting blown out in MODO.

I am exporting using the “Unreal Engine 4 (Packed) preset, using PNG 16bit and a 4k image. Is this the one you meant? If so, I’m not sure if I plug the RoughnessMetalic map into the Unreal Metallic or the Unreal Roughness effect in MODO.

Do I also need to adjust the settings for the shader itself in MODO or should it pick up the settings that I applied in Substance Painter automatically?

Regards

Steve

OK, I think I have got it working.

I exported as PBR MetalRough from substance painter and loaded the resulting maps into MODO. I have set all my settings in the Unreal shader to 100% (don't know if that is correct). I'm now getting a render that is pretty close to the substance painter preview.

The MODO render is a bit softer. I'm guessing this is a result of MODOs antialiasing? Does anyone have a suggestion of what setting I should be looking at to correct this?

Regards

Steve

OK, I think I have got it working.

I exported as PBR MetalRough from substance painter and loaded the resulting maps into MODO. I have set all my settings in the Unreal shader to 100% (don't know if that is correct). I'm now getting a render that is pretty close to the substance painter preview.

The MODO render is a bit softer. I'm guessing this is a result of MODOs antialiasing? Does anyone have a suggestion of what setting I should be looking at to correct this?

Regards

Steve

HI Steve,

I'm sorry for the late response. Using the metal rough export is the correct way to do this. I should have mentioned this instead of the unreal preset. I forgot that we pack the channels for metal and rough into a single map in that preset and this is troublesome in modo.

For the softness, this is related to the AA rendering settings in MODO. In your screen shot it looks like you were using Preview. In SP, we are rendering in realtime in the viewport and the AA settings are just different. For the rendering, the Antialiasing filter is set to guassian by default which is pretty soft. You can try setting this to box or Mitchel.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks Wes, I'll have a play with the AA settings. Im pretty happy with the results I'm now getting.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Wes, I'll have a play with the AA settings. Im pretty happy with the results I'm now getting.

Regards

Steve

HI Steve,

That's great to hear. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Regards

Steve

HI Steve,

Cheers,
Wes

I just found this thread after struggling with the Unreal4 output from Substance Painter 2 to Modo 10. I'll give these settings a go. It would be great to have some Modo specific outputs in Substance Painter2.

best

richard

Regards

Steve

HI Steve,

Cheers,
Wes

I just found this thread after struggling with the Unreal4 output from Substance Painter 2 to Modo 10. I'll give these settings a go. It would be great to have some Modo specific outputs in Substance Painter2.

best

richard

HI Richard,

The Painter outputs work great with MODO. You can use the unreal/unity shaders or the physically-based shading model on the default material. I've been getting very good results. Please check out this documentation.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/MODO

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com