Author Topic: Materials applied are almost pure black?  (Read 1813 times)

Hello,

I am still a "newer" individual to substance. So I'm not sure if this is very simple and I'm just oblivious. I searched a bit online and didn't see anything. I created a simple sculpt in Zbrush. Gave it a UV map. Exported it. Brought it into substance and then went to toss a material on it and the metal materials are coming out super dark. I'm not sure why. I'm really just trying to screw around with basic applications of applying some metal materials before I share this stuff. This is just a test for future more refined models. Anyways enough about that. The point is. The material is coming out very dark and again it seems like its for metal materials. How would I go about fixing this? Am I missing something when I'm exporting my OBJ and UV that the material cant read? I'm attaching a image so you can see what I am speaking about. Thank you so much for your time.

From a noob,

Ravenseye

Your screen shots are too small. The ones where you see black are normal as your layer looks black. It has nothing to do with your OBJ or UVs.

Upload your project file and I'll take a look. It's most likely your exposure setting on your HDR map.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Hmmm. I looked around for HDR exposure settings and I'm not sure where to find them. Yeah please take a look. I'm not sure why its occurring but hopefully you can find out. This isn't the first object I have brought in and it had done this. I've also noticed that if I bring it in to render when I'm on this it definitely doesn't show the materials on it either.

Thanks a bunch for looking into this @CAGameDEV

I don't know why this isn't working im trying to attach the file but it isn't uploading. If I don't attach the file it lets me post. If I do attach the file it try to start a new topic?

I'm not sure why this isn't working. I tried uploading a much larger screencap. But its forcing me to put it up at this lower resolution or it wont post it at all. I was trying to provide larger screencaps. I tried uploading the file itself and cant share it? Any solutions?

You can use free upload sites, or google drive to upload it.

Also make sure you're using the same shader in the viewport and render view. Should be a PBR Spec Gloss one based on the maps you're using.

I'll try uploading to google drive when I get home. Sorry I'm at work now.

Okay maybe I'm not seeing it in the renderer because of what you said. I'll get back to you later. Thanks again for your time.

Just sent you over the drive link. Lets keep the conversation going here if you figure out whats going on CAgameDEV. Encase anyone ever has this same problem and is Google searching for a solution.

Thanks again!

You're using a non pbr shader "non-pbr-spec-gloss" so it will look like this:

If you change it to pbr-spec-gloss as you're using those maps you'll see this:

Change the setting here:

If you're new to texture painting, make sure you understand the correct workflow. As you're using Spec Gloss, make sure you're using that workflow from start to finish. Don't mix things up.

Thanks so much. I honestly didn't even know that tab was up there. Please don't hate me for saying that haha. As I said I'm very new to substance and materials and all that in general. I now know about that tab thanks to you! It means a lot you took the time! I can start training my self more. Also it works in render mode as well. I'm sure I'll be back in the future with more questions. Take care CAgameDev!

Peace,

Ravenseye