Author Topic: Export RGB tga file and it create a RGB+A tga  (Read 8156 times)

Hi everyone,

I'm using substance painter and I really like the new export system, but when I chose to export my maps I want to have the lighter file possible. I demand an RGB tga export and the tga created are RGB with an alpha channel ! :(

Why ? I don't understand where it is come from ?! Because It's pretty simple.

Please Help me guys I don't wanna open each file in photoshop and delete alpha channel... That's a pure waste of time

Thx

Hi everyone,

I'm using substance painter and I really like the new export system, but when I chose to export my maps I want to have the lighter file possible. I demand an RGB tga export and the tga created are RGB with an alpha channel ! :(

Why ? I don't understand where it is come from ?! Because It's pretty simple.

Please Help me guys I don't wanna open each file in photoshop and delete alpha channel... That's a pure waste of time

Thx

Hi,

You can create a configuration that only uses the RGB channels. On the new configuration, just click the RGB button and then drag the channel you want to the RGB button. In the screen shot, you can see two output maps, one with RGB and one with RGB Alpha.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

thanks for quick answer.

I'm already aware of this but It not works like it has to be. When I use an R+G+B method it create an Alpha channel anyway.

Check my image. :)

Hi,

thanks for quick answer.

I'm already aware of this but It not works like it has to be. When I use an R+G+B method it create an Alpha channel anyway.

Check my image. :)

Hi,

You are right. It's still creating an alpha with RGB. This is because its saving to TGA and I think we are using a 32bit saver instead of 24bit regardless of alpha. I will report this to the devs.

For a workaround, if you save to a format that doesn't support alpha, you will get what you need such as jpeg. You can also use PNG and it respects the actual channels.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Ok Thanks !

I'm looking forward to this.

Ok Thanks !

I'm looking forward to this.

Hi,

I spoke with the devs. They said it was because of the library they are using for TGA. This has been on the fix list. They haven't been able to get to it as of yet. If you can, please use jpeg or PNG. This will work with the RGB channel. I'm sorry for this issue.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

hey sorry for unearthing this issue, but is there any chance to get this fixed in a next version?
we wanted to keep our sourcefile database to be consistent with tga files.
so we manually strip the alpha channel in photoshop after export. however it would be cool to skip this additional step in the future.

hey sorry for unearthing this issue, but is there any chance to get this fixed in a next version?
we wanted to keep our sourcefile database to be consistent with tga files.
so we manually strip the alpha channel in photoshop after export. however it would be cool to skip this additional step in the future.

HI,

I've alerted the devs on this issue and gave them this forum link. They may post here or I can relay the info I get. We need to get this resolved indeed.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Is there any news on this fix?  I'm about to have to create a post-export alpha stripping process, and I would love to avoid it if possible.
Dale Homburg, Technical Art Director, Battlecry Studios

Nothing new at the moment on this subject.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.