Author Topic: Feature Wish List  (Read 7288 times)

Hi everyone,

i have just started playing around with Substance Painter and i think its Brilliant. i would however like to see a few things added in the future if possible?

-the ability to paint on top of a flattened UV set

- Colour Picker to Pick from the Colours/Textures already on your mesh

-maybe the inclusion of a colour swatch shelf that stores all of the colours you have used perhaps ?

- Ambient Occlusion\Cavity map Baking perhaps?

- Clone texture brush

-be able to see the flattened UVs

-the ability to Hide any geometry elements ( if you mesh consists of multiple geometries )

- the ability to fill geometry elements ( so if you have multiple geometries , it would great if you could select a chunk and fill that whole bit with texture and colour ?)

-maybe the inclusion of some  sort of object hierarchy window

-ptex support

- symmetry Painting

and i guess Higher resolution image export :)

if any of this stuff is already possible, i apologise for not spotting it.

i think this is a great start!! and i will continue to try it out.

DC3D  www.dc3d.co.uk
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:50:24 am

onkelpoe11@hotmail.de

hehehe, baker would be sweet - but I guess that is, what SD4 is meant for ;)

To add something to this thread:

- emboss/bevel in straight lines, paths, shapes on a normal map (instead of freehand only)

edit: that will be added in future versions :D

+1 for

-the ability to Hide any geometry elements ( if you mesh consists of multiple geometries )

- the ability to fill geometry elements ( so if you have multiple geometries , it would great if you could select a chunk and fill that whole bit with texture and colour ?)
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:06:43 pm

From my brief messing around with Painter, I was able to achieve exactly this with the selection/fill tool. When in that mode, the right tools pane lets you pick what color to fill with and in what mode you are in. You can fill a set of triangles, polys, and you can fill an entire mesh. This gets done on a mask layer which updates automatically as you fill/refill with colours. I imagine you could use this to drive materials too.

For me, the biggest hindrances so far are performance (handles high poly meshes poorly ATM, and my machine is upto par) and inability to work with multiple objects/materials. Also, as an avid Substance Designer user the live linking stuff would be great. It is my understanding from their roadmap on the official site that these features will be rolled out in the coming months.

onkelpoe11@hotmail.de

From my brief messing around with Painter, I was able to achieve exactly this with the selection/fill tool. When in that mode, the right tools pane lets you pick what color to fill with and in what mode you are in. You can fill a set of triangles, polys, and you can fill an entire mesh. This gets done on a mask layer which updates automatically as you fill/refill with colours. I imagine you could use this to drive materials too.

Can you explain this a bit more precise, please?

It's actually called geometry mode (looks like an arrow with a white square behind it), which is next to the stencil mode in the upper left of the UI. I believe I was pretty thorough with the rest of my explanation.

It's actually called geometry mode (looks like an arrow with a white square behind it), which is next to the stencil mode in the upper left of the UI. I believe I was pretty thorough with the rest of my explanation.
This is perfect... i was trying to figure out how to do this... but how do you deselect the geometry?

Honestly I never quite figured out that part myself either. But what I do know is that it fills things with the color as you continue to select. So basically if you made a mistake and wanted a different color to fill, then change the colour and select the same section of geo again and you'll notice in the tiny mask preview (I SO wish they would let you double click to see a larger thumbnail) that it gets updated with the new color. Hope that helps!

By the way, minor issues aside, and clearly missing features aside, I think Painter has a real chance at becoming something major. So long as they eventually get multiple meshes working, 2D UV painting, horizontal/vertical rulered painting, custom shaders, and live linking to Designer, it will be the software to beat.

So far so good.  I can definitely see this software shaping up to something pretty awesome.  The greatest features I could see adding for the time being would be the ability to:

-Import and export layer masks directly through the layers interface right click menu.
-Import an image as a layer, directly through the layer right click menu.
-Paint bucket tool to quickly fill a layer with a material(the current selection fill seems to only work with color?)

Going to continuing playing now :)

The color fill feature just makes a mask, but I reckon that mask could be used to drive a material as well. The way Designer is set up, you use a single color mask image to drive the blending of multiple materials, so I am sure this is the type of workflow they have in mind here as well.

onkelpoe11@hotmail.de

The color fill feature just makes a mask, but I reckon that mask could be used to drive a material as well. The way Designer is set up, you use a single color mask image to drive the blending of multiple materials, so I am sure this is the type of workflow they have in mind here as well.

But how does this work? Can not figure out :(
A bit more of a Tutorial, just like the ones for SD4 would be cool....
Without any real info, I can not make any use of SP now.

It's a young program, things like tutorials and guides will come in time. There is a wealth of info on the Steam Discussions page about various features and the devs are responding to questions there too. Might be worth checking out frequently, as they are also posting videos to better explain some of the features.

Speaking of color fills, it would be great to have an HSL / Levels adjustment function. If I've already filled a layer based on a mask with a specific color, I need to go back and reselect my geo and change the color - which seems a bit tedious.

I came on to make a few suggestions and these great people before saw the same things I was think was needed as well.

I would Love to also see an HLSL DX 11 Shader added. maybe even physic based brushes to effect tessellation would be pretty innovative.

also This may already be a feature Again I have not yet found it but something to allow you to spit out turntables wire-frames and so forth would be Phenomenal.

On my feature wishlist:  support for a 3DConnexion device would be great

I will need 4k texture support and UDIM support.  Things are just rendering very blurry at the moment and particles have to much spacing.