Author Topic: Strange banding imported normal map [solved]  (Read 3248 times)

I've got this happening with the normal map .tga file i've brought in from Xnormal. Any idea what that could be?

This happened in Unity a long time ago too, where it was solved by changing the import compression level to "true color". Does Substance apply some compression sometimes when its 4096?

Substance Painter followed by Unity.

Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:49:13 pm
Win 10 64bit | i72630QM quad core | GTX555M (3GB version) | 16GB ram

hey, could you try to use png to see if it fixes your issue (png are 16 bits per channel, which can avoid this issue)

Also triangulate your mesh before baking in xNormal and importing it in Substance Painter.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

hey, could you try to use png to see if it fixes your issue (png are 16 bits per channel, which can avoid this issue)

I had tried this already by saving my result out in photoshop as a png, but i didn't work. However it did the next time i tried. So its fixed i guess, for now. Computers....ugh.

Btw i tried baking in SP then comparing it with the Xnormal bake, it almost looked identical, so thats great.

Also triangulate your mesh before baking in xNormal and importing it in Substance Painter.

This was triangulated before baking.
Win 10 64bit | i72630QM quad core | GTX555M (3GB version) | 16GB ram

If you bake in Substance Painter what happens ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.